Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ride-a-holic
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you use a torque wrench to get the required amount of torque. Is there some secret way of attaching this park tool to the wrench?
 

·
Kant phuckin sphell
Joined
·
650 Posts
Do you really need to torque it....

ringroadwarrior said:
How do you use a torque wrench to get the required amount of torque. Is there some secret way of attaching this park tool to the wrench?

with a wrench?

If you have a torque wrench and you are unsure of how much force to use you can go practice on a lugnut on your car or something until you feel comfortable enough with about how much pressure to put on it.
 

·
wut?
Joined
·
14,590 Posts
ringroadwarrior said:
How do you use a torque wrench to get the required amount of torque. Is there some secret way of attaching this park tool to the wrench?
Do you really need to use a torque wrench? Why not? If you have it, use it. That's what it's for.

And don't experiment on your car. If your put too much torque on a lug nut you could warp the brake rotor. It's actually possible that your BB torque spec is too high for your lug nuts.

Park makes tools like this that attach to your wrench...

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
I don't believe their is an attachment available

There are some available attachments for the Park torque wrenches (like cone wrence ends for headsets, hubs, etc.). I have not seen one for the external BB's like Gigapipe or MegaExo. I just checked the Park website and the only tool they have for these bottom brackets is the BBT-9 (which is what I use). In fact, I believe they have discontinued manufacturing the attachments entirely.

The FSA recommended torque for the MegaExo cups is only 29-36 foot lbs. This is less than the recommended torque on the fixing bolts for my stem attaching to the carbon steer tube. I would suggest using that (or other 50 ft lb or less bolts) as a guide for the amount of torque to apply.
 

·
Resident Dutchbag
Joined
·
11,864 Posts
cthomas said:
There are some available attachments for the Park torque wrenches (like cone wrence ends for headsets, hubs, etc.). I have not seen one for the external BB's like Gigapipe or MegaExo. I just checked the Park website and the only tool they have for these bottom brackets is the BBT-9 (which is what I use). In fact, I believe they have discontinued manufacturing the attachments entirely.

The FSA recommended torque for the MegaExo cups is only 29-36 foot lbs. This is less than the recommended torque on the fixing bolts for my stem attaching to the carbon steer tube. I would suggest using that (or other 50 ft lb or less bolts) as a guide for the amount of torque to apply.
I think the torque specs for the fixing bolts are given in inch lbs. One more reason why I prefer to use Nm, no confusion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
ringroadwarrior said:
How do you use a torque wrench to get the required amount of torque. Is there some secret way of attaching this park tool to the wrench?
Shimano makes the tool, I believe it fits a 3/8" socket. Its called the TL-FC33

Part # Y13009230
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Duh...

rogger said:
I think the torque specs for the fixing bolts are given in inch lbs. One more reason why I prefer to use Nm, no confusion.
absolutely correct. Thanks for catching this.
 

·
Kant phuckin sphell
Joined
·
650 Posts
Dont think.....

the torque required for any Bottom Bracket (around 35 ft-lbs) will ever be anywhere near the amount of torque a wheel (around 80 ft-lbs) on a car will require, much less enough to warp a rotor. But I think I have seen some Bottom brackets installed at bike shops around here that might have warped a rotor. None the less if you are a ham-fist it would be a good idea to go get a feel of how much torque you are throwing down on a something before you go a install your new BB. https://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
 

·
ride-a-holic
Joined
·
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The GXP..

cthomas said:
There are some available attachments for the Park torque wrenches (like cone wrence ends for headsets, hubs, etc.). I have not seen one for the external BB's like Gigapipe or MegaExo. I just checked the Park website and the only tool they have for these bottom brackets is the BBT-9 (which is what I use). In fact, I believe they have discontinued manufacturing the attachments entirely.

The FSA recommended torque for the MegaExo cups is only 29-36 foot lbs. This is less than the recommended torque on the fixing bolts for my stem attaching to the carbon steer tube. I would suggest using that (or other 50 ft lb or less bolts) as a guide for the amount of torque to apply.
says 34-41nm.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top