Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase my first torque wrench, not looking to spend a lot of money... I found these three on Amazon, So for those who use a torque wrench are the three following wrenches worth the purchase?

VENZO Bicycle Bike Torque Wrench Allen Key Tool Socket Set Kit
Amazon.com: VENZO Bicycle Bike Torque Wrench Allen Key Tool Socket Set Kit: Sports & Outdoors

Capri Tools 31007 20-245 Inch Pound Torque Wrench, 1/4-Inch Drive
http://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-20-245-Torque-Wrench/dp/B00PGIUK3I?ie=UTF8&colid=1OHCPDUTJFZLM&coliid=I803YYLLFHTUI&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 20-200-Inch/Po​und
TEKTON 24320 1/4-Inch Drive Click Torque Wrench, 20-200-Inch/Pound - - Amazon.com

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Not many people like them but for cheap and accurate the beam style one's seem pretty good to me. Not as easy to use but for someone just working on their own bike every now and then they work fine. I don't trust that cheapo non-beam style ones would be accurate or if they are that they'd stay that way. That's just a hunch though. They very well could be fine.

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Not many people like them but for cheap and accurate the beam style one's seem pretty good to me. Not as easy to use but for someone just working on their own bike every now and then they work fine. I don't trust that cheapo non-beam style ones would be accurate or if they are that they'd stay that way. That's just a hunch though. They very well could be fine.
I have the Park beam type. I agree its not as easy to use (harder to tell when you hit torque because you have to see the gauge) But they are far less expensive and calibration is not an issue

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MMs - Thanks for the video feed, good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I bought the complete Filzer set. not cheap but it has improved the quality of my work. Especially for modern cranksets, pedals, carbon frame seat clamps, rotors, stems etc. get less creaks and more peace of mind. EVen still I notice my shimano crank arms come loose eventually, need re-torque.

I see Topeak has this new lightweight carryable torque wrench out now, for limited fasteners 4/5/6nm: Topeak Nano Torqbar 5Nm Torque Wrench - CanadaBicycleParts

When I worked in an autoplant however, we did not just trust the click torque wrenches. Had to calibrate them on regular schedule using a traditional bendy beam torque wrench.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts