Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a tortoise in the yard today! I figured he must be someone's escaped pet, so we checked with the neighbors -- nope. Another neighbor says "oh yeah, I've seen it around for a couple of days" Had no idea where he came from. So I call the vet's office, they refer me to the Wildlife Center, who in turn send me to The Bay Area Tortoise and Turtle people. They give me the number of a local woman who tells me to bring him on over.

He is a Russian Tortoise, very healthy. He got to be a pet, but I have no idea who he belongs to. He now has a save place with Diane the turtle lady. :)

·
pretty-n-pink
335 Posts
I had a college roommate whose family have had 2 tortoises for over 30 years. Their vet says they can live up to 130 years.:eek: Those tortoises will out live them. They're from the desert.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cannot take credit for the photo, it's off the internets. But it looks just like the one in my yard...... Glad he's safe from dogs and hawks now.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Cool!

Coupla of years ago I was reading the paper while eating my oatmeal and there was a picture on the local section of a Box Turtle crossing my street. Some neighbor had seen it and jumped out of the car to take the shot. And the paper printed it, as they often do.

That evening, I'm out riding loops around the village and I look down and here's that same turtle trying to cross another street. I reckoned that was bad so I scooped him up and took him home and put him in a cardboard box, figuring I'd set him loose in my back 40 when I was done riding.

I come home and he's gone! Tipped the box over and took off. Sad I was. :(

Next morning, my jackass neighbor is out walking one of his inbred German Shepherds and he calls to me from up my driveway. I walk down and there's the turtle again, crossing the street in about the same place as he was photographed a few days prior.

So I scooped him up and called my vet to inquire about Turtle Rescue and sure enough, his vet partner had created Turtle Wonderland in his backyard. We took my leetle friend over there and dropped him in the sandbox. Last we heard he was doing the wild thing with a Ms. Box Turtle and they'd produced some eggs.

Turtle encounters can be life changing.

·
Quiet, daddy's drinking
5,887 Posts
Turtle encounters can be life changing or they can get you labeled for life. :D

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kinda wish I'd kept him here, but I was afeared. I had a tortoise trauma as a child, our pet tortoise got tangled in some vines and strangled. He'll be happy at the turtle lady's house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts