Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who decided it was going to rain and sissyed out, congratulations, you win the booby prize. It rained both days. It was NOT a wash out by any stretch of the imagination. Saturday it sprinkled for the first part of the ride, barely enough to get the road wet. Sunday it rained for the second half of the ride, hard enough to get the roads and riders wet, but not a wash out. It was cool to cold once the rain began sunday. By the end of the ride I had quite a few layers going on.

I rode the chrome single speed, a great learning experince. First time I ever rode over 50 miles on a single, so I learned I can do it. Found out how quickly I could scale hills and a great technique I repeatedly practiced. The old bike was fairly comfortable considering the conditions.

Observations: I am willing to bet that 99% of the riders I saw this weekend can not turn a gear over 80GI for more than 1 minute, most never go that high. Aerobars make good hood ornaments. Saw plenty of bars, very few used them and their bike is not set up to use them. Seat position is all wrong, mainly just not positioned to be on them very long.

Statistics: Was nearby 2 crashes, one behind me and one in front. First one was at a RR track crossing, multiple bikes down, heard it and looked back and people and bikes all over the ground. #2 not sure what happened but a guy was sitting on a hillside, helmet off, broken sunglasses, "thought" he was okay, his comment

Funniest/stupidest Observation: 2nd rest stop, this kid comes up and ooggles my ride, real serious asks me what gear I'm running. So I tell him and he gets all exited and tells me he is riding SS/fix also. Then follows up with the question "Are you going to put a card in the spokes, you know, part of the culture?" My answer, "No, what the hell would I do that for?" No response, just walked away realizing that I did not want to be part of his gang/club/clique.

Day 2 same rest stop. I'm hungry and the baloney sandwich and gastly tasting water or gatorade made from the same water is not in the plan. Some large(200lbs+) woman standing at the park entrance is taking pictures, she looks local. I stop and ask if there is a McDonalds nearby. I wanted out of the weather and breakfast food I could enjoy. She looks at me and says, "I don't know, I don't eat fast food." It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

I mini bonked with the city of Columbus in sight, had to stop and break out a Gu pak. It was odd probably a combination of hypothermia, dehydration, out of gas all at the same time. Classic symptoms for me, head ache, sketchy ride skills, a little crampy in the legs and shivering. Overall a solid training ride for me. Stuck to my plan for the most part and accomplished the goal.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Good deal. I've done it the last two years, but not this one. They can think of my registration as a donation :D

I can handle rain here and there, however the weekend forcast was rain all weekend.

-Sissy

· $4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Sounds like TOSRV

Having done the last five or so...the rain is par for the course. The wrecks are par for the course. (I've seen the nastiest at TOSRV) The unused aero bars par for the course. Then again, doing 210 miles on a fixie is not par for the course - impressive. Personally, I think you should have put a few baseball cards in the spokes....and a blinky light on the valve stem, and a pink horn with tassles on your bars. Heck, you guys on fixies could have been some sort of "biker gang" of thugs.

After riding 30 miles on Friday in the rain, wind and 45 degree weather, I was glad I didn't sign up for the ride this year. Even happier I didn't sign up for the ride: my wife on Mother's Day. At 1:30pm, I asked her when she was going to get out of bed and out of her jammies, her response: "you haven't been here for the last 5 Mother's Days, and who knows about next year, so I'm taking advantage and enjoying my day" OK.

Maybe I'll see you next year....

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Rode with my wife on the tandem and my son was on his bike.

We left Saturday morning about 8am. The first 15 miles were spitting rain and the roads were damp but not enough to create a rooster tail or even get my shoes wet. We shed our raincoats at Circleville and enjoyed a dry, although windy ride all the way to Portsmouth. Temps hovered in the 50's almost all day and we kept our stops short hoping that we would not get a surprise return of the showers that were predicted. It was kind of fun as we finished as the whole drive over on Friday my kid was talking smack about how I would never hold his wheel like last year. Well low and behold we get about five miles from the finish and who do I see up ahead but wonder boy. We rolled in the last few miles together with him leading our little paceline. Of course he took off at the bridge with enough of a snap in his jump that the tandem would not be able to catch him for the finishing sprint.

Sunday morning I woke up and thought I heard rain but my son assured me it was only the air handlers in the gym. My wife and I hit the road about 7am and I think my kid left a little before then since he went to hook up with some friends for Belgium waffles. The kid was leaving Tim Hortons in Waverly as we rolled in on the tandem. We usually skip the official stop and head for hot coffee, donuts and muffins, chairs inside with heat and flush toilets. We shed our jackets as we were getting warm and headed off for lunch. TOSRV does know how to accomodate riders in nasty weather and we made a quick stop for a baked potato and hot soup. About noon we were coming into Circleville with 30 miles left to the ride the sprinkles of rain were becoming a bit thicker. A quick stop to don raincoats and empty bladders and we were off for the final quarter century of Sundays ride. Hooked up with a nice paceline just out of town and became instantly soaked. A combination of the rain coming down from above and the rooster tails coming up from the road was enough to thoroughly drench us. In fact once we got shelled by the paceline that was just a bit too fast for us we got a little drier.

All in all, only about 30 miles of rain for a TOSRV weekend is not all bad. My son said he only had about 20 miles of rain as he was about an hour ahead of us on Sunday.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
No one has heard of fenders?

Keeping up with Junior said:
All in all, only about 30 miles of rain for a TOSRV weekend is not all bad. My son said he only had about 20 miles of rain as he was about an hour ahead of us on Sunday.
Aero bars yes, fenders no?

No reflection on you but.......Nuts......just plain nuts.

· Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Fenders

MB1 said:
No one has heard of fenders?
Fenders, are those the things on cars? I would say maybe 2% of the riders had fenders and probably closer to 1%. Generally these fender folks were rolling along at a more leisurely pace and spent a good deal more hours in the rain. With the ride being back to back centuries it brings out folks a bit more on the hard core end and rarely do you see a fender in one of the faster pacelines at TOSRV. Not being Seattle most people here in the midwest will not set out on a rainy ride therefor they rarely find a need for fenders.

I don't need a fender on the tandem, I just use my wife on the back of the tandem to keep my butt dry. My wife used the "beaver tail" to keep her butt dry. This mud flap is great for the occassional rain rider. I keep one stuffed in my gear bag and just slide it into the saddle rails when needed. Does not help anyone sucking your wheel but none of them have fenders either.

http://www.singletracksolutions.com/

· Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fenders and fixies

Actually I did see quite a few versions of fenders. Some were full on Rivendells and older bikes, some were convertible, could pull them rearward like a sliding door. Others were just a one piece unit that stuck out and blocked water. I do have an old bike I restored that has eyelets for fenders, perhaps I will locate a set of wooden fenders. Now that I did not see on the ride, wooden fenders.

I stayed at the Shawnee State gym. Had alot of people stop and look at the chrome SS/fixie. I love telling the story of how I found it on the sidewalk for $65. I heard about a guy that showed up with a full on Schwinn track bike complete with wool jersey and shorts, old leather shoes with nailed on cleats.

As I expected and hoped, this ride was a new challenge for me, sort of like doing my first century 11 years ago. What I liked the most was the hill climbing as the hills out on the course were rollers, I got a good amount of momentum going down and pedaled like a madman and flew up the other side. There were people I passed that were actually riding a bit faster than I on the flat sections I was able to suck a few wheels and completely lost them on the hills. Having never ridden the SS on a group type ride I never knew this technique would be that effective or faster in getting over hills. Never even considered it. Once I saw how it worked, I practiced and got more proficient. Today I am a little leg sore, in a good way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.