Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I'm just watching a dream
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the 200+ mile ride is over, I know there are stories and I want to here them.

DNF - This year I only made it 135 miles. The weather on the way back was a [email protected] and I wanted to quit but kept riding. Then my dad (61yo) fell on a hill just past the first stop on the way back and broke his femur. I was in the Pike county hospital until 1:00 and ended up catching a ride back to Columbus. My dad is scheduled for surgery tomorrow at Riverside in Columbus. It could have been worse.

I also heard someone was killed by a driver (hit from behind) in Piketon? Does anyone have anymore of the details on that?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
WOW that's bad

f1oored said:
Now that the 200+ mile ride is over, I know there are stories and I want to here them.

DNF - This year I only made it 135 miles. The weather on the way back was a [email protected] and I wanted to quit but kept riding. Then my dad (61yo) fell on a hill just past the first stop on the way back and broke his femur. I was in the Pike county hospital until 1:00 and ended up catching a ride back to Columbus. My dad is scheduled for surgery tomorrow at Riverside in Columbus. It could have been worse.

I also heard someone was killed by a driver (hit from behind) in Piketon? Does anyone have anymore of the details on that?
I really heard no stories at all in camp at the Portsmouth HS or the dinner. I saw 2 people I have ridden with in Cycle North Carolina, no stories from them either.

I cheated. I knew I did not have 200+ miles in my legs this weekend so I made the decision to drop my bags in Columbus on the truck and drive to Circleville to join the ride. Worked out great, did 155 miles for the weekend, challenged but not spent. On the return trip yes we all got wet but at the beginning, the little town after the first rest stop I went to the laundrymat and stripped down to my shorts and threw my wet clothes in the dryer, got all dried out and I arrived at Chillicothe just as the big t storms were erupting. Ducked into McDonalds and ate, waited out the storm and then went out and finished the ride dry again. Those poor people that live in Chillicothe have the absolute worst tasting water in the country. They made up the Gatorade with it and the aftertaste is just horrible.

I pray for the best for your dad.

·
I'm just watching a dream
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the story on the guy who was killed.

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-05-11-0016.html

He left the group and was killed on 23 while riding alone. SR23 is a busy road with a high speed limit. That was not a good choice. I saw someone else riding up 23 when I left the hospital. The only reason I can think to ride that road is because it's a little more direct than taking the planned route.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Something not adding up here...

f1oored said:

http://www.nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.apx.-content-articles-CMH-2008-05-11-0016.html

He left the group and was killed on 23 while riding alone. SR23 is a busy road with a high speed limit. That was not a good choice. I saw someone else riding up 23 when I left the hospital. The only reason I can think to ride that road is because it's a little more direct than taking the planned route.
It sounds like he was north of Chillicothe? on 23? Not that familiar with the area but it was 8:00am? If he started from Portsmouth, and it was 8am when he was hit, wow he must have been on the road at 5:30? at the latest and just haulin ash. Something does not add up, and yes leaving the ride route and going to the freeway, bad decision.

I also sort of noticed a lack of police presence and so called SAG vehicles on the route. I saw the HAM people all along the way, perhaps it was just me not paying attention.

When I got to Columbus to pick up my bags the tornado sirens were blowing, I guess some funnel clouds were spotted in the area.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Does TOSRV ever have good weather? Some of the folks I ride with do TOSRV every year, so I'll have to see what they thought of the ride this year.

I'm very sorry to hear about the cyclist who was killed. U.S. 23 definitely wouldn't be my 1st choice for a way to get from Portsmouth to C-Bus via a bicycle. It sounds like this particular cyclist must've been in a hurry. Portsmouth to Chillicothe is only 45 miles, so if this cyclist was in fact on the road by 5:30am, then he would be north of Chillicothe by 8am if he could hold a 20mph pace. That's quite possible since U.S. 23 is fairly flat.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
f1oored said:

Additonal details here: http://www.dispatch.com/live/conten...wley.ART_ART_05-12-08_B7_51A65JH.html?sid=101

The driver continued driving home after killiing the cyclist, then returned to the scene a half an hour later. She said that she though she might have hit a sign.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Ride Report

Saturday was a great day! Partly sunny, not too hot (55-65) and a gentle tailwind most of the day. We waited until around 9am to leave for things to warm up a bit and hauled ass down to Portsmouth. Did not encounter the monster pacelines that were seen in past years when there were more riders although this could also be do to our late departure. Riding the tandem made us a popular pair to follow although often times folks would jump on our wheel only to be shelled a short time later. We did hook up with three guys for the first 25 mile leg who drafted us and the stronger one would come through when asked to give us a little relief. Found some help too on the last 25 mile leg with another handful of riders. Once again taking pretty long pulls but had a couple helpers pull through when asked. The funny one was some racer boy who when we passed him came screaming back along our line and shot off the front. Appearantly his ego could not handle being passed by a couple of tourist on a tandem. But he would quickly lose concentration (or energy) and get passed again only to find another burst of speed to pass our group again. After 3-4 of these futile attempts he finally got permanently shelled. Finshed the day with a five hour century (riding time) and a nice suntan.

Went to our traditional restaurant, Ye Olde Inn, for their excellent ribeye steaks and a few adult beverages. Sundays forecast was rain, rain and more rain. I kind of likened it too going to a bar on a Saturday night and drinking an ugly girl pretty. I just enjoyed the ride on Saturday and tried not to think of the hangover and waking up with a coyote date Sunday morning.

Sunday morning we woke to a 50 degree gentle rain. Folks were rolling out in the dark either for breakfast or to try and beat the predicted afternoon thunderstorms. Also as traditional we were the last bikes out of the gym at 7:00am. Rode in the rain the first 25 miles with a nice paceline of guys all rotating through the front regularly. Passed up the sponsored SAG stop with people standing in the mud waiting for crappy coffee and to crap in the portapots. Opted for a stop at Tim Hortons for a warm bagel, hot coffee, porcelin toilets and a chocolate donut! The rain stopped for the next 25 mile trek to the lunch stop and we rode with a quartering tailwind. As always, hot soup for lunch on the cold spring day. We ate quickly as we could hear thunder in the distance. Hustled out of lunch and luckily outrode the thunderstorm and managed to just have a gentle rain. Hooked up with a junior racer from Cleveland for the next 40 miles. Pete was smoother than many people that have been riding for decades and took his share of pulls as well as lightening the dreary day with some really bad (awful) jokes. Got our flat as did many others on the rainy day, but it was a front wheel and quickly changed in the rain. Kept riding at a good clip hoping to avoid the predicted storms and as we rolled into Columbus were greeted by the sounds of tornado sirens. We managed to get lucky and did not have any heavy, sideways rain or bolts of lightening illuminating our path on the road.

All in all a good weekend. Great ride on Saturday. Missed the predicted thunderstorms (and tornado) on Sunday and only had to ride in the rain about 2/3 of the day. I have been on worse TOSRV rides.

Arrogant Roadie Prick said:
I also sort of noticed a lack of police presence and so called SAG vehicles on the route. I saw the HAM people all along the way, perhaps it was just me not paying attention.
We saw the average number of police on the route as we usually wave to them. I think the lack of SAGs may be somewhat a planned idea to keep the road clearer of traffic. Plenty of HAM radio guys along the route to call a SAG if needed.

Run1stBike2nd said:
Does TOSRV ever have good weather?
I think once or twice in the last decade I can vaguely remember good weather two days in a row although I think I have gotten we just about every year. We got lucky timing wise and dodged the bad storms so we only had to deal with rain (light to moderate).

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
That makes sense

It sounds like he was north of Chillicothe? on 23? Not that familiar with the area but it was 8:00am? If he started from Portsmouth, and it was 8am when he was hit, wow he must have been on the road at 5:30? at the latest and just haulin ash. Something does not add up, and yes leaving the ride route and going to the freeway, bad decision.

When I got to Columbus to pick up my bags the tornado sirens were blowing, I guess some funnel clouds were spotted in the area.
Not knowing where Piketon is located, he was off the tour route early.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Sorry to hear about the cyclist killed.

I've done TOSRV about five times and only once, had decent weather both days. In 2003, during a driving rainstorm on Saturday, I hit what I thought was merely a puddle. Instead, it was a pothole. I didn't go down, but it did crack my frame. I had to beg a ride back to Columbus on Saturday.

I havent' done TOSRV in a couple years becuase of the weather. As a Dad of three, husband of one, my weekends "off" are limited. I decided not to waste a weekend on a ride that always has bad weather - horizonatal rain, high wind, tornadoes, locusts, frogs and other sort of biblical plagues.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I was prepared

Run1stBike2nd said:
Does TOSRV ever have good weather? Some of the folks I ride with do TOSRV every year, so I'll have to see what they thought of the ride this year.

I'm very sorry to hear about the cyclist who was killed. U.S. 23 definitely wouldn't be my 1st choice for a way to get from Portsmouth to C-Bus via a bicycle. It sounds like this particular cyclist must've been in a hurry. Portsmouth to Chillicothe is only 45 miles, so if this cyclist was in fact on the road by 5:30am, then he would be north of Chillicothe by 8am if he could hold a 20mph pace. That's quite possible since U.S. 23 is fairly flat.
You still get wet though. I had full fenders and flaps and the clear plastic rain jacket. My jersey got wet from sweat and my shoes/socks/ covers and knickers from the rain. And I too was getting chilled. So I did the best thing I could do, and got dried out. The emotional lift of pulling on warm dry clothes was fantastic. I rode a few more miles up the road to get warmed up and peeled the rain jacket and then the weather broke more or less for good the rest of my ride.

That ride can have notorious bad weather. the first year I rode it on the way home it was severe t-storms to the point that we rode up to some farm and camped out in a tool shed until the weather calmed. Hail, lightning. Another year it did the same thing on the way down, really bad storms. We had a hotel that year. I crashed that first day. Day 2 we packed it into the van and started driving north until the weather broke and then began riding. Last year I think was good weather both days. Year before that I recall rain on day 2. I really don't mind rain that much, it does thin the crowd out a little, adds a little more challenge to the event. The only reason I ride this ride is it is a good gauge for me to see where I am condition wise. I actually rode better than I had anticipated and thought I had over cooked myself on day one. When I awake for day 2 I can tell if I had dehydrated myself badly or not ate well enough. My eyes and face might feel swollen, a sure sign for me of dehydration.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm one of the guys who helped your dad

I saw your dad go down and he went down hard. We were just about to start the climb when it happened and I kept hoping he would bounce up. I pray the surgery goes well and that he has a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
169 Posts
No change in TOSRV Weather

Nice to see the weather in Ohio hasn't changed much over the years. I did TOSRV twice in the early 70's (high school). As I remember, it rained both times on at least one of the days. Long soggy rides.
To the post about Chillicothe water taste...that may be from all the years of mfg. plant runoff. It does wonders for water quality!
Has anyone done GOBA? That may be more my speed, and probably more predictable weather. Would like to re-live my early Ohio experiences with cycling.

Ohio is a great place to cycle. Many back roads and varied terrain.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
kjung said:
Nice to see the weather in Ohio hasn't changed much over the years. I did TOSRV twice in the early 70's (high school). As I remember, it rained both times on at least one of the days. Long soggy rides.
To the post about Chillicothe water taste...that may be from all the years of mfg. plant runoff. It does wonders for water quality!
Has anyone done GOBA? That may be more my speed, and probably more predictable weather. Would like to re-live my early Ohio experiences with cycling.

Ohio is a great place to cycle. Many back roads and varied terrain.
I have not done GOBA, however a friend I ride with has done it 14 times in a row. Living in Ohio, I don't know what would possess a person to take a week vacation to ride here.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree with Kjung. Ohio is a very nice place to ride. There are many backroads that have good pavement and next to no traffic. Want flat? Go to north west Ohio. Rolling? North east and east central is just the ticket. Hills? South east Ohio is loaded with them. Living in Ohio, as I do, I think we sometimes get jaded with how good the riding conditions are here.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Speaking of Ohio.......

I had a bus trip through New Phila/Dover this weekend. Warther's Carving museum, some Amish Exotic animal petting zoo, Berlin, the Rodeo, Winery, Cheese Factory, Saltwell Western Store, an Amish family had 39 of us in for lunch and then down to Barnesville to the Dickinson Longhorn cattle ranch. Interesting trip.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
I had a bus trip through New Phila/Dover this weekend. Warther's Carving museum, some Amish Exotic animal petting zoo, Berlin, the Rodeo, Winery, Cheese Factory, Saltwell Western Store, an Amish family had 39 of us in for lunch and then down to Barnesville to the Dickinson Longhorn cattle ranch. Interesting trip.
I ride in the Dover/New Philly area a lot - especially just to the north of Dover. The roads are good, the scenery is enough to hold my attention, and the backroads are very low traffic. There's a lot of very good riding to be had in Tuscarawas County. If you want flat and fast riding, you can stay in the river valleys. For more of a challenge, there are plenty of good hills to be found without much trouble. There are probably more hills than people south of New Philly which makes for fun riding but requires a little more planning if you want to go long and need to replenish your water bottles and food supply.

I've also ventured into Amish Country on several occasions. I feel bad for the horses who have to pull those wagons and buggies over all of the hills.

By contrast, I live one county north of Dover/New Philly (Stark), and the riding is much more boring, the traffic is heavier (approx. 4x the pop. of Tusc. County), and many of the roads are in bad shape. The riding is better on the eastern side of my county, but there's no good way to get there from where I live.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I have not done GOBA, however a friend I ride with has done it 14 times in a row. Living in Ohio, I don't know what would possess a person to take a week vacation to ride here.
As a kid/teen I did about 8-9 GOBAs in a row with my dad. I started out on the back of our Cannondale 2000 tandem rigged with a kiddie crank and progressed through the normal tandem setup, then to my mountain bike with slicks and finally to my first real road bike. It was a fun and cheap summer vacation, and I have countless fond memories of riding with my father and younger brother. Sure, most of the riders are inexperienced, maybe a little out of shape, but I was constantly reminded of the joy that riding brings people as I chatted with total strangers along the ride and observed the smiles plastered on everyones' faces. A good time all around for sure.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
it was interesting to read all of the postings to this thread, I live in Portsmouth and work in Columbus... I have often wanted to get into bicycling, and I finally made my mind upto do so... doing research right now on what bike I want to get into... not sure if I'll be in it next year or not just depends on when I actually get the bike and how much training I have prior to the ride... I'm 41 and I actually live in West Portsmouth, which is the little community that you pass just before you get to the bridge area by the dirt race track... I have lived in that area all my life, and as far back as I can remember Mothers Day weekend is the bicyclers... I used to work at the Ramada Inn years ago when the restaurant part was the Nellie Peck, I've also worked for LIFE ambulance as a Medic and covered the ride from Portsmouth to Chilli... so I have had some connection with it... now I just hope it all goes well and I can ride in it... and yes the weather usually sucks, and it was awful that a biker was ran over and killed this past year, the lady lived in Lucasville and it did happen on the south end of Piketon...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.