Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every time I've watched a race I often see guys tossing their water bottles off into the ditch, side of the road, or into no man's land.

Is there someone that follows the group to try and collect all of the garbage that the riders drop during the race?

I can't emagine they would not try to clean up as much as they can?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I think that UCI regulation mandates that riders can only toss their trash (including water bottles) at specific points along the course. But this is seen more as a loose guidance than a regulation. I've seen a lot of riders tossing their bottles over the cliffs during moutnain stages. How likely is that these bottles will be collected back by the trash van? Probably unlikely.

You're not the only one wondering about this question. Some green/eco organizations have sued these race organizers and/or riders for littering

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Most will be grabbed by souvenir hunters.
Some races have mandated drop-off points for litter.
Some races have following clean-up crews.
Some teams use biodegradable plastic in their bottles.
Some bottles will not follow the above.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i wonder how many bottles are used per team in an event like the giro? i'd find it hard to believe more than half of those are recycled/picked up as souvenirs.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
i wonder how many bottles are used per team in an event like the giro? i'd find it hard to believe more than half of those are recycled/picked up as souvenirs.
2 per hour per rider? 5 hours? 190 riders.
that would be almost 2000.
most of the time there are no fans along the road in e.g. tour of california.
2016 tour-of-california photos stage-02

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
I cringe every time I see riders in the middle of no where fling their bottles way into the woods or farmers fields. Because holding onto that empty bottle until they see some spectators to toss them to would be so difficult.

·
Schuylkill Trail Bum
5,128 Posts
Once disk breaks are approved for road racing, the tossed water bottles will be shredded into harmless little ribbons, never to be seen again.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Once disk breaks are approved for road racing, the tossed water bottles will be shredded into harmless little ribbons, never to be seen again.
Yup. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Most will be grabbed by souvenir hunters.
Some races have mandated drop-off points for litter.
Some races have following clean-up crews.
Some teams use biodegradable plastic in their bottles.
Some bottles will not follow the above.
Use of 100% biodegradable plastic is a great idea. Google says that plant-based plastic bottles takes about 3 months to decompose completely. That is a lot better than a thousand years for regular plastic bottles! Not to mention the cost of making these plant-based bottles are much less to the environment. Since cycling likes to portray itselfs as a "green" sport, I think UCI should just make bio bottles an absolute obligatory use.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Growing up on a farm it was amazing the amount of stuff that was thrown onto your land or left off. The most common was tires. An engine... Live animals were common... Beer and liquor bottles, more than you could count... Truckloads of wood chips. Mattresses and box springs. Oil cans. 55 gallon drums. Grills. PITA.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I have noticed, in the few UCI races I have seen live, that the smaller teams hand the used bottles back to the team car.
I also have a great collection of BMC and Garmin bottles from those races.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Saw a few riders today toss their musettes off what was basically a cliff,no fan will be getting those. UCI should crack down on the littering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts