Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
No. Just toss them so they land out of the way, on grass, in the woods and the like.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
nope. totally biodegradable.

they disappear almost instantly in the summer heat. takes a day or two longer in the cooler months.

and fwiw, I pick up hundreds of cans and bottles while out riding over the course of the year, so even it someone thinks it's littering, I've got credits banked.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts

they disappear almost instantly in the summer heat. takes a day or two longer in the cooler months.

and fwiw, I pick up hundreds of cans and bottles while out riding over the course of the year, so even it someone thinks it's littering, I've got credits banked.
Yep, almost more like composting...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I would not toss them on a city street or a residential neighborhood, but I'd toss them into a grassy ditch out in the countryside, or in the woods somewhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A banana peel or an apple core or similar would be about the ONLY thing I would pitch outside of a trash can. It would also depend on the setting I'm in. Out on a country road or open space, no problem. In a neighborhood of urban environment, no way.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts

I'll make sure to drop them in your garden then.
and "almost instantly" is pretty much horse manure. Except horse manure disappears faster
Hikers: eat bananas – but take your skins home | Environment | The Guardian

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
heres my thoughts on tossing stuff like bananas or apple cores. I won't toss them near any kind of paved roads or where vehicles are driven. I think animals might be drawn to the item and perhaps get ran over or cause an accident. I've tossed them down a ravine over a bridge... but that's about it. Otherwise I carry a ziplock and stick it in there until I can dispose of it properly.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
yes. I have never packed-out a banana peel. or any peel for that matter

but now that I am using only gels ... I put the packaging i a jersey pocket to toss out at home. which makes a mess inthe jersey ... but whatever

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
If it grows on a tree, I toss it when out in mountains or woods (but not in the city). If it doesn't grow on a tree, then pack it home or dump it at the nearest public trash bin. Don't over analyze this.

·
I make Eagles fly
620 Posts
Not littering, but obviously placement makes a difference

·
Registered
223 Posts
nope, not littering at all....do it all the time. obviously not going to drop it on a footpath, just chuck it in a bush somewhere.

100 times better than going into a plastic trash bag and into landfill.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Make sure to peel any stickers off the banana first though.
Good point!

yes. I have never packed-out a banana peel. or any peel for that matter
but now that I am using only gels ... I put the packaging i a jersey pocket to toss out at home. which makes a mess inthe jersey ... but whatever

BC, I buy snack size zip locks. Perfect size for gels and wrappers. I keep the spent ones in them to avoid the mess. Cliff gels have attached tear away openings so they are one piece.

·
Registered
20,781 Posts
I'll make sure to drop them in your garden then.
and "almost instantly" is pretty much horse manure. Except horse manure disappears faster
Hikers: eat bananas – but take your skins home | Environment | The Guardian
lol that link has some serious issues. 1 month for a paper bag to decompose but 2 years for a banana peel? :rolleyes:

https://www.csuohio.edu/sustainability/fun-stuff-and-fast-facts
•Banana Peel: 3-4 weeks
•Paper Bag: 1 month

https://www.reference.com/food/long-banana-peel-decompose-8c6d2cdc846addc3
It takes a banana peel three to four weeks to decompose.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Tossing fruit is most certainly littering. For a cleaner world we really need to cut down and eliminate all fruit bearing plants and trees. And don't get me started on leaves.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts