Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Cannondale AL frame thatis about 15 years old. Can I use this frame to build a Cyclocross bike. If so, what else is different on a CX bike? Drivetrain? Brakes? The wheels I have are older Mavic road wheels. Can these be used in a CX application?

Any advice will help.

Thanks!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
slowtwitch said:
I have a Cannondale AL frame thatis about 15 years old.
I'm assuming you mean a road frame, not a cross specific frame? If it's a road frame, you will have significant problems fitting fat cyclocross tires through the fork and rear triangle.

Troll eBay for inexpensive cross frames. Ask around here whether the frames you see look good. Use the search feature on the forum to find out what others might have said about frames and complete bikes of that type.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
slowtwitch said:
I have a Cannondale AL frame thatis about 15 years old. Can I use this frame to build a Cyclocross bike. If so, what else is different on a CX bike? Drivetrain? Brakes? The wheels I have are older Mavic road wheels. Can these be used in a CX application?

Any advice will help.

Thanks!
Normally, I'd tell you to search. But I don't feel like doing work right now.

The big differences between a road bike and a cyclocross bike:
tires, tire clearance, and brakes.

If you haven't picked it up by now, cyclocross bikes typically use fat(ter) knobby tires. As such, the frame needs enough room for the tires to fit in the frame. This is the primary reason that your cannondale might not work. If the frame is very close to the tires, forget it. If you've got enough room to fit at least one finger between the tire and the frame (everywhere, not just in one spot!) you'll probably be able to run cyclocross tires.

Traditionally, cyclocross bikes have run cantilever brakes as well. As long as whatever brakes you have work without interfering with cx tires, then you'll be ok - maybe not ideal, but ok.

drivetrain, everything else - no difference between road and cx.

fyi - I ran an old cannondale touring frame for three years as my cx bike. Being a touring bike, it had plenty of clearance for fat tires, and cantilever brakes, so it really wasn't too far off from a cx bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.