Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have ridden bikes all my life but I have never tried to bike correctly. I recently purchased a new Bianchi Via Nirone with 105 componets after riding MTB's and a hybrid. I feel like I have switched from a dump truck to a Ferrari.

My shifting is pretty terrible, not smooth at all. I know I am masher and I am trying to work on my cadence but I feel like I am thinking to much and not just riding. I love this bike but I feel like I riding it to rough, the gears keep jumping around. I don't think it helps that I am a clyde, about 250 pounds at the moment.

Any suggestions on how I can ride better? I know just riding more will help but I don't want to develop bad habbits.

Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Actually, you HAVE just changed from a dump truck to a Ferrari. The 105 components on your bike are nice. I think you just need to relax and try to be smooth. Ease off the pressure on the pedals when you shift either up or down. When you're riding look well ahead, not down at the ground. Try to spin your legs smoothly, keeping a regular cadence. Don't worry too much about how many rpms right now. Just focus on being relaxed and smooth.

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
The LBS where you purchased your new bike should be able to adjust your derailleurs so they don't jump around.

Other than that Mr. Versatile has the right advice for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Actually, you HAVE just changed from a dump truck to a Ferrari. The 105 components on your bike are nice. I think you just need to relax and try to be smooth. Ease off the pressure on the pedals when you shift either up or down. When you're riding look well ahead, not down at the ground. Try to spin your legs smoothly, keeping a regular cadence. Don't worry too much about how many rpms right now. Just focus on being relaxed and smooth.
Thanks, that was kind of what I was thinking. I am thinking way to much and not just biking. Once I have a better feel for this bike, I will try to improve form.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was in a similar situaion and when I got a computer decided to get one with cadence and I think it has helped me to develop a better smoother pedal stroke. I also didn't even realize I was more mashing then spinning now I amworking toward a better combination of the two.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts