Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had trouble with a local bike shop and the mechanic using the crown race tool incorrectly and screwing up my freshly painted fork. So I went to another shop today as the previous idiot not only marred my fork but didn't completely set the race.
This guy couldn't even find the tool and the more I watched the more I was glad he couldn't find it. I've completely lost any confidence in the bike shops in my area. I give up. I do all my work any way but thought it may be easier to do this with the correct tool. My bad.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
move to a big city on the west coast.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Get a piece of PVC pipe and tap it on. If the seat is properly sized it doesn't take much more than a light tap to set the race in place. If the mechanic has to beat the crown race into submission to get it to seat something isn't right.

·
Registered
486 Posts
So, I've had trouble with a local bike shop and the mechanic using the crown race tool incorrectly and screwing up my freshly painted fork. So I went to another shop today as the previous idiot not only marred my fork but didn't completely set the race.
This guy couldn't even find the tool and the more I watched the more I was glad he couldn't find it. I've completely lost any confidence in the bike shops in my area. I give up. I do all my work any way but thought it may be easier to do this with the correct tool. My bad.
You do all your own work, yet have now visited two bikes shops to have your crown race set?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
Get a piece of PVC pipe and tap it on. If the seat is properly sized it doesn't take much more than a light tap to set the race in place. If the mechanic has to beat the crown race into submission to get it to seat something isn't right.
Sounds like you haven't installed many crown races.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,567 Posts
A couple hundred this year. Why?
I'd be nervous if one went w/ a light tap rather a good swift smack or 5.

ETA: Now I'm wondering...where do you work that you've installed that many crown races? It's been a few years since that's been a common thing to do at the shop level unless you specialize in steel bikes. Lots of them.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Totally agree with the OP. I get nervous having people work on my stuff. I'll get it correct myself and with painstaking precision. It may take me longer to do it but nothing marred and nothing done half way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did. Unfortunately I got a 1" pipe for my 1" steerer but didn't take into consideration the built up part the the race friction fits on.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you have a problem with one shop, it's very likely an issue with the shop.

If you have a problem with every shop, well, I'll just stop there.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you have a problem with one shop, it's very likely an issue with the shop.

If you have a problem with every shop, well, I'll just stop there.
Just being a little sarcastic, but two shops in two days is pretty poor.
I'm also beginning to really dislike the darn spell check.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.