Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm here to announce that I have come up with a new way to stop. Isn't that an interesting idea? I don't know for sure that I want to try doing this with a road bike, but I'm starting to think... WHY NOT? I was origionally going to use it only for mountainbikes, but then the idea hit me that instead of using a big heavy bulky disc brake style device, I could actually use the rim or something close to the rim for the aluminum disc needed. Aren't most rims now days made of aluminum anyway? Ther are, of course, MANY problems with this idea but I have figured them out (I think).

Imagine never having to replace brake pads again, and the brakes work smoothly, silently, never wear out. I don't know how much I'd pay to have a set, but MINE are going to be free so HA! (just playing)

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
OK, that was random.

There is a way to make a "frictionless" brake, but you would need magnets and steel. It would probably weigh a lot more than its worth on any pedal bike...

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
"Imagine never having to replace brake pads again, and the brakes work smoothly, silently, never wear out."

You obviously haven't tried them yet. - TF

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Gabriel454 said:
I'm here to announce that I have come up with a new way to stop. Isn't that an interesting idea? I don't know for sure that I want to try doing this with a road bike, but I'm starting to think... WHY NOT? I was origionally going to use it only for mountainbikes, but then the idea hit me that instead of using a big heavy bulky disc brake style device, I could actually use the rim or something close to the rim for the aluminum disc needed. Aren't most rims now days made of aluminum anyway? Ther are, of course, MANY problems with this idea but I have figured them out (I think).

Imagine never having to replace brake pads again, and the brakes work smoothly, silently, never wear out. I don't know how much I'd pay to have a set, but MINE are going to be free so HA! (just playing)
Put down the bong and step away from the computer...

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Dumbest post of the week!!!!!

Gabriel454 said:

I suppose when he spelled it "barkes" on the title that was a pretty good indication of the content, but still, I just had to read it.....

BTW, braking is friction. If you polish your rims and pads, all they'll do is slip and do nothing to stop you. Electromagnetic braking (which really needs either an induced current or an electrical dissipator to work) is only a partial solution, and a heavy, complex one at that. Just take a look at the dissipator on the roof of a locomotive.

I look forward to seeing your "solution". Post a few pics. We'll all get a good laugh out of them.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Frictionless Barks

Arf, arf, arf . . .

*LMAO*

-- you could mount rockets on your bars . . . set backward to slow you down. Try not to set fire to other riders or the surrounding environs.

Arf, arf, arf . . .

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah... put the bong down.

I did have a strange brake idea once tho. Never implemented it and it does include friction. [duh]

It would of course only work on a fixed gear. The idea was to machine the crank, to have a braking surface on it similar to a disc brake. Then to have the caliper on the back half of the crank where the chain does not contact. Finally have the braking surface raised up from the crank, so that any splatter from the chain did not overly contaminate teh surface.

How hair brained of an idea is this ? Anyone think it would work or have any merrit ?

Or would this just be a surpurb way to totally fxxk up one's knee's ?

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
bignose said:
Yeah... put the bong down.

I did have a strange brake idea once tho. Never implemented it and it does include friction. [duh]

It would of course only work on a fixed gear. The idea was to machine the crank, to have a braking surface on it similar to a disc brake. Then to have the caliper on the back half of the crank where the chain does not contact. Finally have the braking surface raised up from the crank, so that any splatter from the chain did not overly contaminate teh surface.

How hair brained of an idea is this ? Anyone think it would work or have any merrit ?

Or would this just be a surpurb way to totally fxxk up one's knee's ?
Doesn't sound too plausible. Drop your chain and you're screwed. Also, a disc would either be too vulnerable to damage, or would be a burn hazard for your calves. I can imagine the chain lube that gets sprayed on it catching fire, too!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The The said:
OK, that was random.

There is a way to make a "frictionless" brake, but you would need magnets and steel. It would probably weigh a lot more than its worth on any pedal bike...
Okay so I'm a random kind of guy. I like inventions but haven't been able to do anything spectacular. though I was able to make a transmission that creates power... increased torque + constant rpms = power... but it didn't make enough power to compensate for the added mass it took to get it. My test car went from 123 ftlbs torque to 188 ftlbs torque, but gained close to 250lbs of gears, transfer case chain, and hydraulic fluid in the process. (it took most of the original parts from three trannys to do it!)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dave_Stohler said:
I suppose when he spelled it "barkes" on the title that was a pretty good indication of the content, but still, I just had to read it.....

BTW, braking is friction. If you polish your rims and pads, all they'll do is slip and do nothing to stop you. Electromagnetic braking (which really needs either an induced current or an electrical dissipator to work) is only a partial solution, and a heavy, complex one at that. Just take a look at the dissipator on the roof of a locomotive.

I look forward to seeing your "solution". Post a few pics. We'll all get a good laugh out of them.
You are only partially correct. Though perhaps if I had spelled brakes correctly you would have taken the idea seriously. (he he ha ha I'm looney!! send me to the looney bin where they will all laugh at my jokes!!)

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Gabriel454 said:
You are only partially correct. Though perhaps if I had spelled brakes correctly you would have taken the idea seriously. (he he ha ha I'm looney!! send me to the looney bin where they will all laugh at my jokes!!)
Why go anywhere else? we all laugh at your jokes here.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Dave_Stohler said:

I think the guy should stop barking and put his snout in the dog bowl.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Perptual motion?

"I was able to make a transmission that creates power" Well, actually, that would defy the laws of physics, so it's not too likely. You have simply defined power incorrectly. Admittedly, the US Patent Office does grant roughly a dozen perpetual motion machine patents each year, but that is just because they are incompetent. Sounds like it's right up your alley :)

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Gabriel454 said:
Okay so I'm a random kind of guy. I like inventions but haven't been able to do anything spectacular. though I was able to make a transmission that creates power... increased torque + constant rpms = power... but it didn't make enough power to compensate for the added mass it took to get it. My test car went from 123 ftlbs torque to 188 ftlbs torque, but gained close to 250lbs of gears, transfer case chain, and hydraulic fluid in the process. (it took most of the original parts from three trannys to do it!)
Ya see, here's the problem with your claim. Your "invention" would have to be more than 100% efficient for that to happen, and as it happens 100% efficiency is impossible.
You have no choice but to live the following law. It rules. It says your invention didn't create power. It says ain't nothing perfect or anything that lasts forever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alienator said:
Ya see, here's the problem with your claim. Your "invention" would have to be more than 100% efficient for that to happen, and as it happens 100% efficiency is impossible.
You have no choice but to live the following law. It rules. It says your invention didn't create power. It says ain't nothing perfect or anything that lasts forever.
actually it was only 86.8% effficient, and was initially supposed to be an infinately variable tranny not a power creating tranny. It didn't work as an IVT because it varied the torque, but the rpm remained constant. It was really complicated, and required the use of planetary gears which in themselves are only 98% efficient, The best chains that money can buy are only 78% efficient, and the rotational mass did the rest.

So, therefore I did more than a years worth of work and junkyard scrounging for nothing. Spent half a fortune doing it too. I'm not entirely sure that this new thing is any better, but it shows a lot of promise.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Gabriel454 said:
actually it was only 86.8% effficient, and was initially supposed to be an infinately variable tranny not a power creating tranny. It didn't work as an IVT because it varied the torque, but the rpm remained constant. It was really complicated, and required the use of planetary gears which in themselves are only 98% efficient, The best chains that money can buy are only 78% efficient, and the rotational mass did the rest.

So, therefore I did more than a years worth of work and junkyard scrounging for nothing. Spent half a fortune doing it too. I'm not entirely sure that this new thing is any better, but it shows a lot of promise.
Still, you didn't create any power. You lost power, which is to be expected. You've got some things defined wrong. If you created power, then you'd have over-turned some long-standing tenets in physics, and you should be getting a Nobel Prize.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Gabriel454 said:

dumb......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts