Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been saving for some new wheels for the past few weeks, and i was planning on ordering them this friday. i was excited about some nice handbuilts, but now i've discovered that i can get my hands on some "boutique" wheels of similar weight for about the same price, and i'm now second-guessing my handbuilts.

the handbuilts are 7800 hubs/DT1.1 (28h) rims/Revo spokes, and the pre-mades are Easton Ascent IIs. both are in the 1400-1500g range, and both cost about 500-600. i like the fact that the Eastons are a bit lighter and probably a bit more aero, but i like the simplicity of the handbuilts.

which should i go with, and why? gracias.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Depends on what you're gonna do with the wheels. If it's general purpose / training / group ride / etc, then the handbuilt's simplicity and ease of maintanence outweighs any small aero benefit the prebuilts might have, IMHO.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"aero" really isn't a concern for me. i mean, i think "aero" is all a load of BS unless we're talking about serious deep-section rims. i would think that the difference in aerodynamics between some Ksyriums and some handbuilts would be comically tiny. i'm more concerned with stiffness for fast descents (because i'm 19, still stupid, and still like to go downhill real fast) and reasonably low weight for climbing. i'll probably be doing mostly road races, some crits, and perhaps one Mtn TT next season. durability is a concern as well, because even though i'm a pretty nimble/light rider, i'm just plain lazy about maintenance. also, i am no stranger to 4-5hr rides in rain/hail, so i don't want wheels that will whine if they are used in ugly conditions.

ok, after listening to myself ramble, i'm leaning toward the handbuilts. they're heavier than the Eastons, but they're lighter than what i've got now and they're about a hundred bucks cheaper. also, they're what everybody has been using forever, so they can't be that bad.

any other opinions drifting around out there?

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
soulsurfer104 said:
i would think that the difference in aerodynamics between some Ksyriums and some handbuilts would be comically tiny
It's not "comically tiny," at least, if you're racing. 32-spoke wheels compare very poorly to even lower-spoke count, moderate-aero wheels like a Zipp 202, Ksyrium, or Campag Eurus. Something like 25 watts at 25 mph on a flat TT or whatev. Still not in the league of Zipp 404's, but it's something.

That said, I think the handbuilts are a great option for ya. If you want a little stiffer yet, consider a moderate profile like a Velocity Aerohead instead of an Open Pro. I would take them over the Eastons.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, i'm for sure going with the handbuilts. i want them to be as stiff as possible, so is a radial front and a 3x rear as stiff as i can make them? that's what a guy at my LBS told me.

also, is it safe to lace a 28h 7800 hub radially? (i'm about 130-135lbs, so i would think yes)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.