Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to New Orleans, LA and am planning on riding my road bike to school everyday. If you have ever been to NO then you know how bad the streets are, and since the hurricane there is a lot more debris than before. Anyone have any suggestions for tires for my road bike that would keep me from having to patch tires constantly? I thought I might try some armadillos or something. Should I upgrade my wheels also? I have a 2005 Specialized Allez Elite (all original). Please help! Would some tire liner help?

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Armadillos

thpeyton said:
I thought I might try some armadillos or something. Should I upgrade my wheels also?
Armadillos are generally regarded as the most puncture resistant, though they don't have a reputation for a great ride. That's not an issue when riding in the city. Get the widest tires that will fit in your frame. Doing this will give you the best ride, the most puncture resistance, and probably eliminate the consideration of getting new wheels. Even if you do need new wheels, just wait until your current ones sustain some damage before you invest - you might get years of service out of the wheels you have if you ride carefully.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
thpeyton said:
What is the best armadillo tread pattern to use? There are so many I really don't know.
Grooved tread is all marketing with respect to road bike tires. Go for slicks: tread is more stable; there is less squirm; and there's more rubber on the road. If you find yourself going faster than 100mph or so on wet roads, then you can start worrying about hydroplaning.

· Registered
95 Posts
armidillos are the toughest...

but they ride like slabs of concrete.
definitely, the most puncture resistant i've ever used - didnt get a single flat in about a year of using them while riding through some of the roughest terrain in seattle - but my commute now is in the range of 15-20 miles and i started feeling the pain after about 6 or 7 miles on the armidillos. so i retired my set.
i really like vittoria randonneurs (9sp?). they are extremely puncture resistant, great in the rain, and they ride much, much better than the armidillos. i have a set of the 700x32's and they feel nice and cushy, almost plush. even though you're only supposed to use 75 psi - i think - with them, i routinely pump mine up to 90, which helps with rolling resistance.
again, you cant go wrong with the armidillos, and if you only commute for 3-5 miles or so, the rough ride is not too bad. anything longer than that and you'll start cursing them for being so harsh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.