Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding for 5 years and still have a lot to learn mechanically...SO....

I went for a ride this afternoon and pedaling was much more difficult than "normal." This is NOT a fitness issue. It felt as if the chain were too tight and I was having to work hard to move the crank.

Any ideas?

·
Old Skool
719 Posts
Not enough information

This is hard to diagnose with so little information. Were there any usual noises?

Off the top of my head, I would suspect seized/bad bearings in your wheels of bottom bracket. Try this:

1. Take the chain off the chainwheels and turn the crank by hand. This should be very easy to do (very little resistance). Any significant resistance points to bad BB bearings.

2. Remove the rear wheel. Turn the axle by hand. This should be very easy to do (very little resistance). Any significant resistance points to bad wheel bearings. Repeat with the front wheel.

If this turns up a problem, fine you know what the issue is. If not, I do not know what to say.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Soft tires?

real stonie said:
I've been riding for 5 years and still have a lot to learn mechanically...SO....

I went for a ride this afternoon and pedaling was much more difficult than "normal." This is NOT a fitness issue. It felt as if the chain were too tight and I was having to work hard to move the crank.

Any ideas?
You provide no real information, and apparently didn't do the obvious simple checks as suggested by Stogaguy, but the most obvious idea would be that your tires need more air.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry Irons said:
You provide no real information, and apparently didn't do the obvious simple checks as suggested by Stogaguy, but the most obvious idea would be that your tires need more air.
Brilliant. Thanks for the help.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
You might want to take a quick look to see that the wheels/tires aren't rubbing anything. It's easy for a brake caliper to go askew & rub against the rim. I've also installed wheels a little cockeyed so the tire rubs one of the stays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts