Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Specialized Toupe that seems to have been comfortable, but now seems to be hurting the old hind quarters. The more I ride it, the more I realize that it is a pretty darn hard saddle. It is the team model. I'm thinking about doing the Competitie Cyclist demo program to find a saddle as they include the ones that I am interested in, except for the SLR carbon flow.

Anyone change from their Toupe to something more comfy but still relatively light?

·
Registered
473 Posts
yes, the toupe is hard as a rock. ive also heard it takes setting it up just right for it to be comfortable but i still thing its too hard anyways.

doing that demo program is a good idea, but why not the slr carbon flow? i was thinking about trying that one actually.

you could always try the toupe gel if you just think its too hard. i dont know if youve tried an arione, but most people dont have any problems with those, but they arnt super light like the toupe or slr.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
david462 said:
yes, the toupe is hard as a rock. ive also heard it takes setting it up just right for it to be comfortable but i still thing its too hard anyways.

doing that demo program is a good idea, but why not the slr carbon flow? i was thinking about trying that one actually.

you could always try the toupe gel if you just think its too hard. i dont know if youve tried an arione, but most people dont have any problems with those, but they arnt super light like the toupe or slr.
Yeah, the Toupe is hard as a rock. It will bow in the middle, but still gets me. I did a 200 miler on it and it wasn't my sit bones that hurt me, it was lower and hip area more than anything.

Oh, what I meant was that I would like to try the SLR Carbon Flow. It's just that Comp Cyclist does not include it in the demo pack. They do send the SLR Gel Flow which may be too comfy not to keep. I've just made the choice of comfort over weight in the saddle department.

I have not tried the Arione, but I did try the Aliante when I was on the size-cycle. It was pretty comfy.

I think I'll do the demo, but it's going to be hectic trying to test all of those saddles in 7 days. I'll have to get in a good ride on each one and leave time for adjustments.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I have and use both Toupes and an SLR Carbon Flow (3 bikes: two Toupes, one SLR). If you don't like the 'hardness' of the Toupe, I doubt you'll find the SLR any more accommodating. For me, I like the Toupe a little more, just because it fits my butt a bit better. Toupe's slightly flatter and supports my sit bones better, where the SLR seems more curved and puts a bit more pressure on my perineum than I'd prefer. Of course with anything saddle related, YMMV.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
tyro said:
Thanks, I'll try and check out the Prologo and Bonty as well.
I sold my Team Toupe 143 mm after 105 miles. Just too hard. I am now on a Prologo Nago and it seems just right.

The Prolog Scratch is a croos between the old flite and the fizik aliante. I like the aliante excpet for the nose. I do use it though on the commuter and spinning bikes.

·
Old Skool
804 Posts
Specialized Phenom

You may want to take a look at the Specialized Phenom. It is billed as the "mountain" version of the Toupe, there is slightly more padding. It works very well for me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Dr_John said:
I have and use both Toupes and an SLR Carbon Flow (3 bikes: two Toupes, one SLR). If you don't like the 'hardness' of the Toupe, I doubt you'll find the SLR any more accommodating. For me, I like the Toupe a little more, just because it fits my butt a bit better. Toupe's slightly flatter and supports my sit bones better, where the SLR seems more curved and puts a bit more pressure on my perineum than I'd prefer. Of course with anything saddle related, YMMV.

I also have both Toupe (143mm) & SLR (gel flow) on my primary & back-up bikes. Toupe flexes more, but with less padding. SLR hits my sit bones in slightly different spot, so I ride it when Toupe bothers me. Both are great saddles, but you have to try 'em yourself.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Toupe flexes more, but with less padding.
Right. Additionally, the SLR is slightly longer (if that matters to some) with less abrupt or hard edges. That's one of the things I've always disliked about the Toupe, but it's still my preferred saddle.

And as a side-note, I did crack a shell on one and got a warranty replacement. I only weigh 140 lbs., so do keep an eye on your Toupe.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently switched from the Toupe to Selle Italia's SLK gelflow...The SLK is a bit heavier, but for me anyway, considerably more comfortable. There are numerous places on a bike to cut weight without sacrificing but I don't think the saddle is one of them. Also, shorts or bibs play a big role as to how any saddle will feel, make sure you are using a quality pr. of shorts or bibs...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sheldon said:
I recently switched from the Toupe to Selle Italia's SLK gelflow...The SLK is a bit heavier, but for me anyway, considerably more comfortable. There are numerous places on a bike to cut weight without sacrificing but I don't think the saddle is one of them. Also, shorts or bibs play a big role as to how any saddle will feel, make sure you are using a quality pr. of shorts or bibs...
Good point on the shorts thing. Yes, I've got Capo Forma and PI so far. The Capo shorts are pretty comfy and I've got some more of those on the way to me as we speak. I'm going to try some Raphas too...well because I simply cannot help myself! :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
sheldon said:
+1. You can save grams elsewhere on the bike before I'd look at the saddle. I traded my SLR (NO padding) to the SLR XP (for extra padding, meaning 1mm of foam) to the SLR Gel Flow which is 100grams heavier and orders of magnitude more comfortable. I've still managed to keep my bike approaching 14lbs. with this "comfort" saddle, so don't be shy! Your "boys" will thank you...

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
heliskyr said:
+1. You can save grams elsewhere on the bike before I'd look at the saddle. I traded my SLR (NO padding) to the SLR XP (for extra padding, meaning 1mm of foam) to the SLR Gel Flow which is 100grams heavier and orders of magnitude more comfortable. I've still managed to keep my bike approaching 14lbs. with this "comfort" saddle, so don't be shy! Your "boys" will thank you...
Agreed. My goal is to find a comfortable saddle, regardless of weight. I mean, I've got to be comfortable or else I just won't enjoy myself as much. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with some kind of gel saddle when all is said and done.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used to ride on a, Flite TT and SLK and found them too narrow. Now I think my 143 Toupe is the best saddle I've owned. It has the right amount of flex that I don't notice that it is hard at all. I don't think any of those Selle Italias are wide enough. Wearing a pair of bibs with a nice chamois also helps!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.