Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
What do you mean "very reliable?"

No F'ing way, that's what I have to say. I mean, the amount of MONEY that's gone into the tour -- the EXPENSE of cancelling it? I think they would run it if they had to only allow all of the French Continental teams to compete.

Plus, even though this is big -- probably bigger than Festina -- it's really "just" two Spanish teams, plus the two individual favorite riders, who are out. That still leaves 19 teams, and makes the "most open tour since 1997" REALLY open.

But I don't actually KNOW a thing.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Agreed. No event producer in his right mind would cancel on the eve of the event. Think of all the Euros they'd have to refund--sponsors, broadcasters, etc. It would bankrupt ASO, which could mean the end of Paris-Roubaix, Paris-Nice, etc, at least temporarily. ASO has too much to lose to cancel Le Tour.

Le Tour has been through death, disaster and drugs before. It will survive this, too.

Worst-case scenario is enough teams boycott the race to turn it into a joke, and the race is delayed a couple of days as ASO scrambles to find replacement teams. But I don't see even that happening.

Yes, who is this source? How highly placed?

Argentius said:
What do you mean "very reliable?"

No F'ing way, that's what I have to say. I mean, the amount of MONEY that's gone into the tour -- the EXPENSE of cancelling it? I think they would run it if they had to only allow all of the French Continental teams to compete.

Plus, even though this is big -- probably bigger than Festina -- it's really "just" two Spanish teams, plus the two individual favorite riders, who are out. That still leaves 19 teams, and makes the "most open tour since 1997" REALLY open.

But I don't actually KNOW a thing.

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
55x11 said:
weird. I have it from "reliable" sources that Basso and Ullrich are back into the Tour - turns out it was all a practical joke by spanish police. Funny!
I have a reliable source who says that Armstrong is coming back, too. It seems he wants to take on Bernard Hinault, who is tired of standing impotent on the podium, and has decided to stage his own comeback. Should be quite the race.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I have a reliable source who says that Armstrong is coming back, too. It seems he wants to take on Bernard Hinault, who is tired of standing impotent on the podium, and has decided to stage his own comeback. Should be quite the race.
I heard Basso was tricked by none other than his boss. Seems Riss heard the same things you did and want to race against Lance and Hinault. I heard he never stopped his bike toss training...

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
I heard Basso was tricked by none other than his boss. Seems Riss heard the same things you did and want to race against Lance and Hinault. I heard he never stopped his bike toss training...
I figured that might happen. Riis always wanted to win another one. Sounds like it's going to be one hell of a race.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Lemond is way too fat right now to get in on this action.
Well, the most recent pictures I saw of him were around the TdG, in April. Back then people were complaining about Ullrich looking big; if Jan can turn it around, Greg sure as hell can.

I think he can make the podium.

·
LA CHEVRE
2,459 Posts
MaestroXC said:
Well, the most recent pictures I saw of him were around the TdG, in April. Back then people were complaining about Ullrich looking big; if Jan can turn it around, Greg sure as hell can.

I think he can make the podium.
Let's just hope Lemond doesn't get busted as Jan did then...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.