Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today was the Tour De Blast. It's a 80-some mile ride through the "blast zone" of Mt. St Helens. It has to be the best organized group ride I've been on. Lots of fun.

http://www.tourdeblast.com/

I drove down from outside Seattle on Friday and camped in a state park near the course. The Mountain (the big one) was out on the way down.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got an early start. The layers came off after about 15 miles, and it got hot. Real hot. Well, real hot for the Pacific Northwest. The ride has 3 big climbs. Here we go getting closer.

If you look closely, you can see the gas plume venting.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now this shot is a little blurry. I remember in photography class where they said you should smear your lens with a chocolate courage gel shot for a softer image.

Important safety tip: Don't park your truck in the blast zone. Hiding it behind a tree will not help.

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Alright Man...........

Looks like you had fun. Although I live 3000 miles away I remember seeing that mountain from a distance when I was up around those parts four years ago. Wished I coulda been there with my bike, even if it would kill me. (flatlander y'know.)

Thanks for the report. :)

· Registered
5 Posts
I know this is the road riding forum, but,,,, I can tell you that one of the best rides I have ever done is a mtn bike ride thru the Planes of Abraham at St Helens. Wow, what a blast to ride thru the blast zone and up and down the lower slopes of this mountain.

· It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Nice report/photos jplatz! I have a thread over in General Discussion with photos, too (although they aren't working at the moment). Great ride, but I'm pretty toasted now (almost literally--bad sunburn).

jplatzner said:
Now this shot is a little blurry. I remember in photography class where they said you should smear your lens with a chocolate courage gel shot for a softer image.

Important safety tip: Don't park your truck in the blast zone. Hiding it behind a tree will not help.
I've been up to St Helens a few times but I have never seen this truck before! Where abouts is it?

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BenWA said:
Nice report/photos jplatz! I have a thread over in General Discussion with photos, too (although they aren't working at the moment). Great ride, but I'm pretty toasted now (almost literally--bad sunburn).

I've been up to St Helens a few times but I have never seen this truck before! Where abouts is it?
I was lucky with sunscreen. The organizers even put a bunch of sunscreen at one of the rest stops? I couldn't believe it. They did a great job.

The truck was on the north side of the road. I saw it on the way back -- perhaps with 10-15 miles to go. It was down low off the road in front of a restaurant.

Looking forward to seeing your pics. You guys were about half an hour faster than me. I was slow on the ride back and didn't jump in any groups.

· Registered
86 Posts
Unbearable heat

I did the ride as well. The scenery was incredible. The heat however was unbearable but then again I wear shorts riding year round in Seattle. The ride was great. I think the organizers could have done a better job. They ran out of food and water so I never got anything to eat and only got water at the top because of the observatory. The money went to a good cause but had I known I would have bought power bars and extra water. Riding like that and not eating is not as fun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.