Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so who's checking it out?

i get to volunteer as a course marshal as it finishes in santa rosa. not exactly sure where i'll be but i'll be there.

saw the gerolsteiner team this afternoon. they were riding while i was picnicing, eating cheese, crackers and wine overlooking some vinyards - thinking i should be riding. :p

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
magnolialover said:
Zzzzzzzz...... Wake me when it's over. Or for the last 30 minutes of each stage.
Man I don't care if this gets me kicked off the forum but F U C K Y O U. You bring garbage to every single post. It's annoying, no longer can I ignore it because you ***** in EVERY POST I READ! You must hate life to be in such a god awful mood all the time, I wish you were a troll as it would make sense for such horrible behavior, but apprently you just suck at life.

K

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree that was a 'prick ass' post by Magnolialover. I don't have such a problem with the guys other posts, but the thread starter sounds stoked to be a marshal, so why rain on his parade? Sure you are free to say what you want, but in my opinion it really just lacks general decency to drop comments like that.

I'll definitely be checking the race out. On the 21st they are going to be riding over a bunch of my normal training roads. Its crazy to see the projected times, especially knowing how long it takes me.

About half of the top pros riding through my little town and tearing up the hills I suffer on is exactly the opposite of boring in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
magnolialover said:
I said wake me up before the end of the stage. Come on now. You guys follow bike racing, and it's silly to even make pretend that hanging out at the end of a first year stage race is going to be "exciting". Take a nap, watch the finish, go home.

I don't bring negativity to every post IUBike, take a look around.
Have to agree. Unless you're in the event itself it's pretty boring to watch on tv until the end. Just like car racing, basketball, etc.

Congrats Moschika! You'll definitely have a good spot for great pics. ;)
Lou.

·
Registered
123 Posts
magnolialover said:
I said wake me up before the end of the stage. Come on now. You guys follow bike racing, and it's silly to even make pretend that hanging out at the end of a first year stage race is going to be "exciting". Take a nap, watch the finish, go home.

I don't bring negativity to every post IUBike, take a look around.
Dude, you may be a pretty smart guy, knowledgeable about cycling, etc. but come on now... I don't need to go far to read what you said, all I need to do is scroll up! You said "Zzzzzzzz...... Wake me when it's over. Or for the last 30 minutes of each stage." 'Wake me when it's over.' is a very clear statement and unless you live in backwards land your thoughts are put down in the order in which they apply; i.e. waking you up when its over is your first preference.

I guess I'm a silly SOB because I do think a first year stage race will be exciting because it goes right by my house and over the roads that I ride every day. To me, seeing a pro stroke a route I know is far more interesting then the end of the stage or even the final result or the tour. Why, because it gives me a much better appreciation for their ability level compared to my own.

BTW, I don't want to come off as some local or state centrist cheerleader but... first year or not, the Tour of California is dam interesting on a number of levels. Maybe this is a race that will be, or should have been for a long time. California is the fifth largest economy in the world and an amazing place. You may not have an appreciation for where they will be riding, but lots of people do. The stage on the 21st goes through tons of micro climates, from arid river delta to humid redwood laden canyons, and many climates inbetween, within only 20 miles. The will be riding within a few miles of the most prestigious public university in the country, right near the Lawrence Livermore Lab, and will finish at the epicenter of information technology. I could keep going about other stages, but I'll spare everyone.

Obviously, you don't even live in California. You may never have been or you might not even care for it. Frankly, I don't care even slightly. Just because you can't see why some people are stoked doesn't mean they are wrong. Maybe it just means you should bite your tongue and let them enjoy themselves.

·
Banned
97 Posts
IUbike said:
Man I don't care if this gets me kicked off the forum but F U C K Y O U. You bring garbage to every single post. It's annoying, no longer can I ignore it because you ***** in EVERY POST I READ! You must hate life to be in such a god awful mood all the time, I wish you were a troll as it would make sense for such horrible behavior, but apprently you just suck at life.

K
I agree. Steel magnolias lover is a Dic. Even the girls on the cover think he is a dic. That's why they are laughing at him.

·
Registered
123 Posts
euro-trash said:
Your point is???????
Mr. Trash, I didn't think my point was that hard to figure out, so let me restate it: when a pro is on your personal turf it is more interesting then when they are riding some place you don't know. Furthermore, it may be easier to appreciate the ability of said pros when you see them in direct comparison to one's self.

You can appreciate any pro by watching a great performance, but when Tiger destroys your club course, Kelly Slater shreds your home break, Tony Hawk macks on your half pipe, or Dick Cheney shoots you in the woods where you hunt you gain an understanding of where the bar is relative to you. Okay, that last example may not have been the best one, but I still think you get my point.

I think the Tour of Georgia and the Ride for the Roses are cool events, I'm just not as interested in them because I don't live or train where they occur. I have nothing against these places, Austin is a dam cool town with a great music scene and Georgia is an amazing state, especially the low country.

I can see how you can live anywhere and care a ton about the T.O.C., or live in California and not care at all. I definitely was NOT saying you suck if you don't live in California and shouldn't even chime in. I'm not an elitist. It doesn't bother me if people aren't interested in this race. I jumped in here because I didn't think someone should be critisized because they were interested for likely the same reasons I am.

The more cycling events in the US the better, period. Riding is just one of the sports I do, my others are considered 'extreme' sports, which in my mind is joke. IMO, professional cycling is the most extreme sport because these guys suffer longer and harder and take more risks then any other group of athletes, especially for what they get paid. As far as I know pro cyclists statistically have more serious injuries then athletes in any other sport (that is common).

I'll paddle back out with little reservation after getting rolled up in solid, double overhead surf, but getting back on a bike after breaking your collar bone and having 1/4 of your skin ground off takes some serious balls.

·
Registered
139 Posts
magnolialover said:
Zzzzzzzz...... Wake me when it's over. Or for the last 30 minutes of each stage.
When you ski race against Bode Miller, and go to strip bars with Hincapie, its hard to get yourself up for a little old stage race in one our countries finest states. You my friend are the ultimate internet hero.

Just last year at the TDG Tony Cruz patted my son on the back and said "cute kid" how I wish that wouldve turned into something more.

·
Banned
97 Posts
magnolialover said:
I've indeed been lucky enough in my time to yes, ski race against Bode Miller, and lost horribly by the way. I've also been at nudie bars with Hincapie, pre marriage of course. I've been able to race against some of the best domestic pros in the country on the road, and also lost horribly to them. I was at Jonas Carney's last crit, and saw him take the sprint from 10 places behind him.

I'm not an internet hero, these are just some experiences that I've had. Sorry they're better than yours. I can't help that.

Do I sense a Steel magnolias 2 the movie coming out? Your life sounds so interesting. I once pissed in a urinal next to Charles Barkley, does that make me an internet hero? I was also recently on a flight from Sac to LA and saw Bobby Brown on the plane. He was drinking a Heiny at 10am in the morning. I would have had one with him, but I really felt like I am not that high of society yet to be drinking with BB. Oh well, those are my internet stories. Maybe they will make a movie out of me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hijack it back

Trying to take the hijacked thread back...

The TofCA represents a great opportunity to get USA stage racing going in a wonderful CA venue. The sponsors have ponied up nicely - $35mil for Amgen, I read somewhere - and the race has great support from tourism folks, the much needed transportation and local officials, and this fan, at least.

Please leave the negative comments out until the race gets going at least. A race has to start somewhere and it likely isn't going to be the Tour de France caliber in it's first year in Cali. I'm just a newby hack and ain't a pro racer by any stretch, have no experiences with actually attending a bike race, and well...I just like to ride. And I'm jazzed about this new race in my backyard.

Is that so bad?

Rain or shine - I'll be at the prologue with a smile.

·
Banned
97 Posts
magnolialover said:
Nah, my life is mundane, I've just been in some races, where I've been forunate enough to race against some of the best people in the world at the sport, and like I said, came out on the wrong end of it. I'm just not that good, and my life is boring. Work, ride, sleep, work, ride, sleep, and yeah, that's about it. I certainly don't consider myself an internet hero, as I mentioned before, no more so than someone who can continually insult another person who they'll never meet in real life. I relate some experiences I've had because they're decent stories, and sometimes actually add depth to the conversation and or thread that we're dealing with, sometimes. Sure, I would love to see a movie about you, but didn't they already make one? Jackass I think the title was...
Jackass the movie. As a matter of fact, I drank with Bam at a local bar in West Chester. Do you see me bragging about that. Let's see, I also saw Sly in the distance filming the new Rocky movie, wait, no I had dinner and drinks and looked at some hooters at Delilahs with him. That is a better internet hero story. How can anyone really prove it?

·
Registered
467 Posts
magnolialover said:
I've indeed been lucky enough in my time to yes, ski race against Bode Miller, and lost horribly by the way. I've also been at nudie bars with Hincapie, pre marriage of course. I've been able to race against some of the best domestic pros in the country on the road, and also lost horribly to them. I was at Jonas Carney's last crit, and saw him take the sprint from 10 places behind him.

I'm not an internet hero, these are just some experiences that I've had. Sorry they're better than yours. I can't help that.
Just had to shed some light on this.....

One of my good freinds has raced against all the top domestic pros.Still races as a Cat 1 after a 7 year lay off.Was ranked 7th in Nat. amateur rankings and still holds a state hilly course 40k ITT record.He's an EXTREMELY humble guy.You on the other hand are an elitist prick because you choose to be that way.

It's obvious you think you are the greatest thing since sliced bread despite your "my life is boring" response.

·
professional lurker
460 Posts
This is funny ***t! I've read a lot of magnolialovers posts and have had similar thoughts to the ones posted in this thread (and others bashing him). He loves to name drop and there is an elitist tone to just about every post he makes but I think he is very knowledgeable when it comes to cycling and I think he adds a good dynamic to the board. I like the fact that he pushes everyones buttons (intentional or not) makes this board a little more interesting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Red Sox Junkie said:
This is funny ***t! I've read a lot of magnolialovers posts and have had similar thoughts to the ones posted in this thread (and others bashing him). He loves to name drop and there is an elitist tone to just about every post he makes but I think he is very knowledgeable when it comes to cycling and I think he adds a good dynamic to the board. I like the fact that he pushes everyones buttons (intentional or not) makes this board a little more interesting.
why encourage him

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.