Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting to seriously get back into road cycling. I have lost 50 lbs in the last few months through treadmill work and dieting, and a little riding thrown in. Now that spring is here, I am looking forward to being on the bike a LOT in the coming months.

I wanted to set a goal for myself, and since diabetes runs in my family, I thought the Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association) in Dallas would be a good one to shoot for. It's in September, which will give me plenty of time to train for the 65 mile ride. Right now, my training rides are in the 20 mile range.

Anyway, I was wondering what the general concensus is on these rides. Generally well managed and supported? Fun?

Todd

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Most of the large fund raiser rides like TdCure and MS150 are very well run and supported. Many, many people do them. They do take a commitment to raise the funds required to participate in them. Often there are a lot of inexperienced riders on the rides and and you need to stay alert.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
BoneDigger said:
Anyway, I was wondering what the general concensus is on these rides. Generally well managed and supported? Fun?

Todd
Charity rides run the gamut from very good to very bad. I know people who have done the Tour de Cure in some places and thought it was great. However, the absolute worst organized ride I ever did was a Tour de Cure ride. You need to find someone who has done the Dallas ride for input on it. The other thing to keep in mind with respect to charity rides is that some rides are better than others in the amount of money that does to the charitiable works of the organization than others. If you are going to be raising serious $$$ you really should check out the organization to make sure that the money you are raising is going to the cause rather than fundraising expenses and administration.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Tour de Cure money goes into the general fundraising coffers of the ADA.

According to their literature:

WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
Many people want to know where their money goes when they contribute to the American Diabetes Association. Listed below are a few examples of what the money you raise can help purchase or fund. In 2003 the American Diabetes Association invested 33.8 million dollars on diabetes research.

$37.00 Pays for educational materials for a newly diagnosed child and their family.
$2.75 Pays to send a diabetes information kit to a newly diagnosed individual.
$11.25 Covers one hour of an advocate’s visit to Washington.
$26.00 Provides diabetes risk tests for 1000 individuals.
$50.00 Pays for one hour of diabetes research.
$25.00 Pays for materials necessary for a health fair.
$79.00 Pays for a child to go to camp for one day.
As the parent of an 11-yr-old with Type1 diabetes I'd like to thank you in advance for your support.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've done probably 8 or 9 in recent years. The details of the rides and on ride support are organized by local volunteers - not the ADA itself. So they are inconsistent as to quality of ride and venue. We had some years ago that were great - nice hilly country ride - nice support - nice start/finish venue. Then that organizer hung it up. The next guy in changed the ride and start/finish venue, and it sucked. I started riding in another chapter. Better. It's like a box of chocolates. In the end, you're doing it for other reasons, and it's all good anyway.

·
Registered
296 Posts
In my experience, the biggest variable is how many folks do the ride in your area. In Louisville, the TDC is not a huge ride (less than 200 folks last summer, I believe), so that means there is less support. It worked out fine for us, but a lot less support than one of the big rides. I'm sure in other locales a lot more people ride, so there are more support vehicles, etc.

It's worth doing.

·
Registered
735 Posts
BoneDigger said:
I am just starting to seriously get back into road cycling. I have lost 50 lbs in the last few months through treadmill work and dieting, and a little riding thrown in. Now that spring is here, I am looking forward to being on the bike a LOT in the coming months.

I wanted to set a goal for myself, and since diabetes runs in my family, I thought the Tour de Cure (American Diabetes Association) in Dallas would be a good one to shoot for. It's in September, which will give me plenty of time to train for the 65 mile ride. Right now, my training rides are in the 20 mile range.

Todd
My club here at work has done it the past two years, and for the one up here in Washington state it is a great ride. Rest stops with food and bathrooms every 25 miles or so: the most civilized way to do a century by far!

We had a kid with type 1 ride with us last year and I was amazed by how strong he was; he smoked me on the last hill. Our group averaged 19mph for 100miles, but most people were just cruising. Do it- you will have fun...........MTT :thumbsup:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Go for it!

I did one two years ago and it was great. If your local Tour has a lot of local big business support it will likely be a well supported ride. (Big local businesses tend to bring a lot of employee volunteers to man the stops etc.)

An idea you might try for fundraising: I mailed a typed letter all the area doctors (particularly pediatricians) I only asked for $15-$25 each. In return for their sponsorship I had some T-shirts printed. "Don't let Type 2 Catch You!" on the front and "Powered By:" on the back listing all the contributing Dr's names. I got a deal on the shirts and printed enough to give each contributing Dr a shirt after the ride. It was well received and I found it a pretty easy way to get sponsored. Pediatricians in particular are tuned into the type 2 epidemic. As a group I found them very sympathetic and supportive.

Great cause, go for it and have fun!

·
Registered
949 Posts
As someone who has played the role of Team Capt. on 3 different Tour De Cure teams...
all here in Indianapolis... I'd say, GO FOR IT. take the advice of those who have provided it here... Talk to someone who has done the Dallas ride, Indy's ride starts and ends on the Indy Motor Speedway, so that's a cool experience that you really couldn't get any place else. Especially considering how FEW events are allowed on the track.

The Indy Tour de Cure rides in the past have been well planned, good SAGs, Fairly safe routes (although not really pretty cause it's IN Indianapolis and not in the country with some hills and such)....

There WILL be a HUGE variety of riders though, don't expect a 75 person peloton to draft in, don't expect EVERYONE to be on a NICE bike, expect that someone will inevitably be towing their child in a trailer while on a mt. bike... it's a charity ride, they want the cash, and it absolutely should NEVER be considered a Race.

AND for those interested: feel free to either donate, or join my 09 team, TEAM CYCED
(you know, like Psyched, but with a bit of cycling thrown in for good measures)
http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR/TourdeCure/TDC265568030?px=2237269&pg=personal&fr_id=5597

·
Registered
46 Posts
chs4 said:
Tour de Cure money goes into the general fundraising coffers of the ADA.

According to their literature:

As the parent of an 11-yr-old with Type1 diabetes I'd like to thank you in advance for your support.

I too have a child (6YO diagnosed at 1YO) with Type 1 and while I love any money raised for diabetes, I'd rather anyone do this ride.....https://ride.jdrf.org/

Why? I'm selfish and JDRF supports Type 1 diabetes specifically....either way good luck in your riding and fund raising:thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
This will also be my first time to ride the TdC, here in Albuquerque, NM. I was able to start up a team of co-workers and friends and so far, we're doing pretty well on our fundraising. A few people I've talked to say the ride is well supported, but like others have said, it is area specific to the support the ride gets.

Not sure how many ABQ riders read this board, but if there are and you are riding, good luck!

And good luck on your ride in Dallas! I think it's a gret way to give back.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Do check out the local ride to make sure, as mentioned the quality is uneven. I and my family have been fundraisers for diabetes for many years-in fact in 2008 our extended family team was the largest non corporate fundraiser for the the Step out for Diabetes Walk in the United States, and I have ridden the TDC four times. Sad to say, the rides were the most poorly organized of any charity or non charity ride that I have ever done. This year I am switching to a different location in hopes of finding better organization. But it is such an important casue because it is so devastating and Type 2 is so preventable. Good luck.

b21

1 - 15 of 15 Posts