Astana's Alberto Contador of Spain picked up his second Tour de France win today as Mark Cavendish the Brit from Team Columbia - HTC crushed the sprint to win his 6th stage of the tour.

Lance Armstrong who announced he will be riding for new American team, RadioShack next year finished on the podium as well in third place.

Stage 21 Results
1 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team Columbia - HTC - 4:02:18
2 Mark Renshaw (Aus) Team Columbia - HTC
3 Tyler Farrar (USA) Garmin - Slipstream
4 Gerald Ciolek (Ger) Team Milram
5 Yauheni Hutarovich (Blr) Française des Jeux
6 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
7 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
8 Marco Bandiera (Ita) Lampre - NGC
9 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Liquigas
10 William Bonnet (Fra) BBOX Bouygues Telecom

Final General classification
1 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana - 85:48:35
2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank - 0:04:11
3 Lance Armstrong (USA) Astana - 0:05:24
4 Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Garmin - Slipstream - 0:06:01
5 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank - 0:06:04
6 Andreas Klöden (Ger) Astana 0:06:42
7 Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Liquigas 0:07:35
8 Christian Vande Velde (USA) Garmin - Slipstream - 0:12:04
9 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas - 0:14:16
10 Christophe Le Mevel (Fra) Française des Jeux - 0:14:25

Full results here..

Jersey Standings:
maillotjaune.gif
Alberto Contador
maillotvert.gif
Thor Hushovd
maillotapois.gif
Franco Pellizotti
maillotblanc.gif
Andy Schleck

discuss.jpg
Click Here

Links to news sites...

"Cavendish celebrates with number six on the Champs-Élysées
Contador crowned king of the Tour with overall win

Alberto Contador (Astana) says he cares not for records, but in taking victory in each of the last four Grand Tours he's ridden, top-and-tailing with the 2007 and 2009 Tours de France and the 2008 Giro d'Italia and Vuelta a España in between, he's set a record of his own.

After 3,459.5 kilometres, the maillot jaune crossed Paris' world-famous boulevard of the Champs Élysées with arms hoisted high, and with each hand, two fingers raised. That's right, Alberto, you've done it again." Read more from CyclingNews...

"Cavendish hails 'beautiful' sixth win
By Ryland James (AFP)

PARIS - Britain's Mark Cavendish hailed his sixth stage win from this year's Tour de France "beautiful" after powering his way to a stunning victory on the world famous Champs Elysees here on Sunday.

In doing so the Isle of Man-born rider became the first Tour rider in the post-War era to win six stages from a sprint in one edition of the Tour.

And that more than made amends for Cavendish missing out on the sprinter's green jersey for the points competition.

Despite Cavendish's winning ride in the shadow of the Arc de Triomphe, Cervelo's Thor Hushovd won the green jersey with 280pts against Cavendish's 270.

A superb lead-out from Columbia team-mate Mark Renshaw gave Cavendish a clear run to the line as he left both Hushovd and Garmin sprinter Tyler Farrar behind." Read more from the AFP...

"Defiant Contador wins the Tour his way
By Justin Davis (AFP)

PARIS - Newly-crowned Tour de France champion Alberto Contador showed more than impressive climbing and time trialling skills on his way to victory in this year's race.

The 26-year-old Spaniard belied his unassuming nature to show nerves of steel in the face of a formidable teammate, Lance Armstrong, whose reputation struck fear into rivals during his seven-year reign on the race.

Racing for the same team, Astana, the collaboration of the Texan and the Spanish young gun who has won all three major Tours was always going to create sparks.

"It wasn't really a compatible situation," Contador admitted on Saturday. "I knew he was coming here to win, but so was I."" Read more from the AFP...

"Sprinter Cavendish fulfils Paris ambition in style

PARIS (Reuters) - Britain's Mark Cavendish fulfilled his ambition of reaching the end of the Tour de France in Paris and crowned the moment by winning the final sprint on the Champs-Elysees on Sunday.

Perfectly set up by Australian team mate Mark Renshaw, who took second, Cavendish was in a class of his own for his sixth stage victory on this Tour.

"It's amazing you know. All along I said I wanted to go all the way to Paris and my team was so great in helping me do it," Cavendish told reporters.

"Six victories including the Champs-Elysees. All my dreams come true," he said." Read more from Reuters...

"Armstrong more human in third place
By JOHN LEICESTER (AP)

PARIS - Well, well, there's a sight you don't see every day at the Tour de France: Lance Armstrong on the podium in Paris without - hold the presses - the race winner's garish yellow jersey on his back.

Third. Not a result, in pure sporting terms, that ranks up there with the seven consecutive times he claimed the victor's laurels on the crowd-lined Champs-Elysees, framed by the Arc de Triomphe in the background.

But how much more human.

Armstrong suffered on this Tour, the pain and effort etched into his craggy face. Like a wily fox, he used years of accumulated race smarts to compensate for what his 37-year-old body has lost in speed and resilience; a few seconds saved here, a few more clawed back there." Read more from the AP...

"Armstrong prefers Team Radioshack to Contador
By Ryland James (AFP)

PARIS, France - Lance Armstrong admitted on Sunday he did not celebrate teammate Alberto Contador's Tour de France triumph, preferring instead to go for drinks with the backers of his future outfit, Team Radioshack.

The 37-year-old finished third overall after Sunday's 21st and final stage at 5:24 behind Contador who built an unassailable lead after Saturday's climb up to Mont Ventoux and rode to Paris in the yellow jersey.

But rather than dine with his Astana team-mates on Saturday night to celebrate Contador's victory, seven-time champion Armstrong said he dined elsewhere.

"To be honest, I went out for dinner with the Radioshack guys and I had a few extra glasses of wine than I would have normally done," said Armstrong when asked about Astana's celebrations after the team won the yellow jersey." Read more from the AFP...