700_tdf10

discuss_specialized
Click Here

CORVOS_00015676-088

(Reuters) - Kazakh Alexandre Vinokourov won the 13th stage of the Tour de France, a 196-km ride from Rodez on Saturday.

Luxembourg's Andy Schleck retained the overall leader's yellow jersey.

CORVOS_00015676-075

Stage 13 Results
1 Alexander Vinokourov (Kaz) Astana - 4:26:26
2 Mark Cavendish (GBr) Team HTC - Columbia - 0:00:13
3 Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Lampre-Farnese Vini
4 Edvald Boasson Hagen (Nor) Sky Professional Cycling Team
5 Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne
6 Julian Dean (NZl) Garmin - Transitions
7 Anthony Geslin (Fra) Française des Jeux
8 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Cervelo Test Team
9 Grega Bole (Slo) Lampre-Farnese Vini
10 Lloyd Mondory (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale

CORVOS_00015676-023

General classification after Stage 13
1 Andy Schleck (Lux) Team Saxo Bank - 63:08:40
2 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Astana - 0:00:31
3 Samuel Sánchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel - Euskadi - 0:02:45
4 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank - 0:02:58
5 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Omega Pharma-Lotto - 0:03:31
6 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Team Radioshack - 0:04:06
7 Robert Gesink (Ned) Rabobank - 0:04:27
8 Joaquin Rodriguez (Spa) Team Katusha - 0:04:58
9 Luis León Sánchez Gil (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne - 0:05:02
10 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Liquigas-Doimo - 0:05:16

Full results here..

CORVOS_00015676-020

Jersey Standings:
maillotjaune.gif
Andy Schleck
maillotvert.gif
Alessandro Petacchi
maillotapois.gif
Anthony Charteau
maillotblanc.gif
Andy Schleck

CORVOS_00015676-121

Links to news sites...

"Vinokourov wins 13th stage of Tour de France
By Justin Davis (AFP) -

REVEL, France - Alexandre Vinokourov scored his first victory on the Tour de France since completing a doping suspension after a gutsy attack late in the race's 13th stage from Rodez to Revel on Saturday.

Luxembourg's Andy Schleck, of Saxo Bank, retained the race leader's yellow jersey with his 31sec lead on main rival and reigning champion Alberto Contador intact ahead of Sunday's first stage in the Pyrenees.

Vinokourov, who only returned to racing last year, was delighted with his win after capping a late counter-attack to Italian Alessandro Ballan with a determined drive for the finish line.

It is his first victory on the race since 2005, when he won two stages as part of the T-Mobile team.

"For me, just to be at the Tour de France is a victory. So to win a stage makes me very happy," said Vinokourov, who served a two-year ban after being caught blood doping at the race in 2007.

"When I was racing as an amateur they used to tell me that winning a stage on the Tour is similar to winning the world championships. And that's true.

"So I'm very happy, not just me but for my team, my family and all the people in Kazakhstan."

Vinokourov attacked late on Friday's stage to Mende, where he had to drop his own ambitions after Astana teammate Contador countered a late attack by Spaniard Joaquin Rodriguez to overtake the Kazakh rider, eventually taking 10secs off Schleck." Read more from the AFP...

"Vinokourov, back from doping ban, wins Tour stage
By JAMEY KEATEN (AP)

REVEL, France - Alexandre Vinokourov did his time for doping. Now, he's back to basking in Tour de France glory again.

The 36-year-old from Kazakhstan capped his return to cycling's main event by winning the 13th stage on Saturday with a solo breakaway that said more about savvy and opportunistic cycling than leg power.

It was a far cry from the 2007 Tour, when Vinokourov was kicked out and instantly became an emblem of doping shame after testing positive for a banned blood transfusion.

Police raided his Astana team's hotel and the squad quit the race. Tour organizers lost the gamble they made by giving Astana a wild card to race a year after it was forced out in another doping scandal.

Vinokourov has since said he doesn't want to dwell on the past. He wants to regain the trust of fans and prove that he can win with hard work alone.

"I showed I worked hard in these two years," he said Saturday. It was his fourth career Tour stage victory. It would have been No. 6 - but his two stage wins in the 2007 Tour were nullified after his disqualification.

Cycling's past with doping lingers at this Tour, especially after recent allegations by Floyd Landis that the use of banned substances was common on the U.S. Postal team when he rode with Lance Armstrong." Read more from the AP...

"Vinokourov claims Tour stage victory

(CNN) -- Alexandre Vinokourov rode away from the peloton in the final 7km to claim victory in stage 13 of the Tour de France, although there were no changes to the overall classification with Andy Schleck retaining the yellow jersey.

Astana rider Vinokourov, who has returned to the race following a two-year ban for blood doping, was one of six riders who attacked on the final climb of a hilly day, and he managed to stay away to win the 196km run from Rodez to Revel by 13 seconds from a fast-finishing peloton.

The remaining riders were swallowed up by the main bunch, and Briton Mark Cavendish again showed his sprinting prowess by snatching second place from Italian Alessandro Petacchi -- who takes over the sprinters' green jersey from Thor Hushovd, who could only finish eighth.

Meanwhile, there were no changes in the overall classification with Schleck retaining his 31-second advantage from defending champion Alberto Contador, with Samuel Sanchez back in third." Read more from CNN International...