Mark Cavendish finally captured the elusive green jersey for best sprinter in the Tour de France on Sunday, and he did it in the best way possible.
The British cyclist won a mass sprint on the Champs-Elysees to take the final stage of cycling's premier race for the third year in a row.
It was his fifth stage victory this year, and finally earned him the coveted jersey that was the only accolade missing from the star sprinter's list of successes.
The 26-year-old Cavendish said "the Tour de France for me is so far ahead of everything else."
He said "my whole year is built around being in my best condition for here, and to win as much as possible."
Cadel Evans of Australia won the overall Tour title.
Stage 20 Results
1. Mark Cavendish HTC-Highroad - 2:27:02
2. Edvald Boasson Hagen Sky Procycling
3. André Greipel Omega Pharma-Lotto
4. Tyler Farrar Team Garmin-Cervelo
5. Fabian Cancellara Leopard Trek
6. Daniel Oss Liquigas-Cannondale
7. Borut Bozic Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
8. Tomas Vaitkus Pro Team Astana
9. Gerald Ciolek Quickstep Cycling Team
10. Jimmy Engoulvent Saur - Sojasun
Final General classification
1. Cadel Evans BMC Racing Team - 86:12:22
2. Andy Schleck Leopard Trek - 0:01:34
3. Fränk Schleck Leopard Trek - 0:02:30
4. Thomas Voeckler Team Europcar - 0:03:20
5. Alberto Contador Velasco Saxo Bank Sungard - 0:03:57
6. Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez Euskaltel-Euskadi - 0:04:55
7. Damiano Cunego Lampre - ISD - 0:06:05
8. Ivan Basso Liquigas-Cannondale - 0:07:23
9. Thomas Danielson Team Garmin-Cervelo - 0:08:15
10. Jean-Christophe Peraud AG2R La Mondiale - 0:10:11
Full results here..
Links to news sites...
"Evans seals historic Tour de France for Australia
By Justin Davis (AFP)
PARIS - Cadel Evans sealed an historic first Tour de France victory for his native Australia after the 21st and final stage of the epic race on Sunday.
Britain's Mark Cavendish, of HTC-Highroad, took his third consecutive stage win on the Champs Elysees where Evans, who rides for BMC, maintained his lead of 1min 34sec over Andy Schleck of Luxembourg who rides for Leopard.
In third place was Frank Schleck, 31, who finished 2:30 behind to make sure the Schlecks make history as the first brothers on the race podium.
Cavendish has now won five stages this year, taking his tally to 20. His third consecutive stage victory on the final stage of the race means he becomes the first Briton to secure the green jersey for the race's points competition.
The Isle of Man rider became the first Briton to step on to the podium since 1984 when Scotland's Robert Millar took the King of the Mountains jersey on his way to a fourth place finish.
Spaniard Samuel Sanchez, of the Euskaltel team, won this year's polka dot jersey while Frenchman Pierre Rolland, of Europcar, won the white jersey for the best placed rider aged 25 and under." Read more from AFP...
"Evans claims historic Tour de France win
(CNN) -- Cadel Evans secured Australia's first ever Tour de France victory after the 21st and final stage of the historic race culminated on the streets of Paris.
Evans, who rides for the BMC team, finished amidst the peleton in the 95km stage, to maintain his 1min 34sec lead over Andy Schleck of Luxembourg.
Britain's Mark Cavendish, of HTC-Highroad, sealed a hat-trick of victories on the Champs Elysees to take the green jersey, awarded for the Tour's best sprinter.
Samuel Sanchez, of the Euskaltel team, claimed the polka dot jersey and Frenchman Pierre Rolland, of Europcar, scooped the white jersey after becoming the best placed rider 25 and under." Read more from CNN International...
Photos by CorVos