(AP) - Bradley Wiggins of Britain won the first big time trial of the Tour de France on Monday and extended his overall lead.
The three-time Olympic track champion underlined his command of cycling's showcase race in the 25.8-mile ninth stage between Arc-et-Senans and Besancon. He beat runner-up Christopher Froome of Britain by 35 seconds.
The stage marked the dominance of the Sky Team, with Wiggins and Froome delivering a 1-2 punch -- notably to defending champion Cadel Evans, who finished 1:43 behind Wiggins in sixth place.
Evans remains second overall, trailing Wiggins by 1:53. Froome jumped to third, from sixth, and is 2:07 behind his teammate.
After 10 straight days of racing, the 178-rider pack gets its first rest day Tuesday. The field then faces two hard days in the Alps, including a summit finish Thursday that is likely to shake up the standings.
[youtube width="600" height="361"]httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnGDnRj__NQ
Stage 9 Results
1. Bradley Wiggins - Sky Procycling - 0:51:24
2. Christopher Froome - Sky Procycling - 0:00:35
3. Fabian Cancellara - RadioShack-Nissan - 0:00:57
4. Tejay van Garderen - BMC Racing Team - 0:01:06
5. Sylvain Chavanel - Omega Pharma-QuickStep - 0:01:24
6. Cadel Evans - BMC Racing Team - 0:01:43
7. Peter Velits - Omega Pharma-QuickStep - 0:01:59
8. Vincenzo Nibali - Liquigas-Cannondale - 0:02:07
9. Denis Menchov - Katusha Team - 0:02:08
10. Andreas Klöden - RadioShack-Nissan - 0:02:09
General classification after Stage 9
1. Bradley Wiggins - Sky Procycling - 39:09:20
2. Cadel Evans - BMC Racing Team - 0:01:53
3. Christopher Froome - Sky Procycling - 0:02:07
4. Vincenzo Nibali - Liquigas-Cannondale - 0:02:23
5. Denis Menchov - Katusha Team - 0:03:02
6. Haimar Zubeldia Agirre - RadioShack-Nissan - 0:03:19
7. Maxime Monfort - RadioShack-Nissan - 0:04:23
8. Tejay van Garderen - BMC Racing Team - 0:05:14
9. Jurgen Van Den Broeck - Lotto Belisol Team - 0:05:20
10. Nicolas Roche - AG2R La Mondiale - 0:05:29
Full results here..
Photos by CorVos
Wednesday's Stage 10 Route -
[youtube width="600" height="361"]httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnbn02yydFo