Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, they have nothing to do with the Tour De France. I just happened to be making them while watching the Tour :D
These freeze really well. Take them out of the freezer at least 1hr before eating.

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar 418 Calories
1/2 Cup Sugar 387 Calories
8 oz Yogurt, Lite Vanilla 120 Calories
2 Egg Whites 34 Calories
1 TBS Canola oil 120 Calories
2 TBS Skim Milk
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
5 TBS Agave Nectar 300 Calories
1 Cup Flour 455 Calories
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Salt *** Note: This is 4 times the recommended amount per recipe.
1 Cup Coco Crispies 160 Calories
3 Cup Quick Oats 900 Calories
1 Cup Raisins 520 Calories
1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds 160 Calories
Total Calories: 3574
Cut into 24 bars: 149 Calories each.

Note: This size recipe normally calls for ½ tsp salt. I quadrupled it for added electrolytes.

Combine sugars, yogurt, egg whites, oil, milk, vanilla, and agave nectar.
In separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well then add to sugar mixture.
Stir in oats, coco crispies, raisins, and sunflower seeds.

Spread mixture into ungreased 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350° for approx. 30min.
Cool completely on wire rack.
Cut into bars and wrap with aluminum foil and freeze.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Why, specifically, did you add the agave nectar?

Agave is very high in fructose, much higher than high fructose corn syrup, which IMO, is not necessarily a bad thing when used appropriately.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why, specifically, did you add the agave nectar?

Agave is very high in fructose, much higher than high fructose corn syrup, which IMO, is not necessarily a bad thing when used appropriately.
The recipe I used previously was 3/4cup brown sugar. I reduced it to 1/2cup and replaced it with the agave. Just to try something different. I tried to use it sparingly. Less than 10% of the calories in each bar come from the agave.

To be honest I'm not sure I care for the flavor. It's not bad but next time I'll probably do something different.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sucrose is 50/50 fructose/glucose. HFCS is like 60/40%. Agave can be as much as 90/10. Fructose is absorbed via a different pathway than glucose, so having the right percentage of the total can help maximize the overall rate of absorption during exercise, according to recent research anyway. Offhand, I don't know what that percentage is, but getting it right might be helpful since the rate of absorption is less than the rate at which you can burn it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.