Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, I am so psyched I am heading off on Friday!

Work is busy right now and I am trying to clear a bunch of things off my desk -- thank God I'm heading off on Friday for 2 weeks of fun! Some of you know from my past posts that I help organise a yearly tour around the TDF and the Etape du Tour (www.letapedutour.com) for a bunch of buddies - including some RBR's. This year is no different except that we will be doing both the Marmotte (http://www.sportcommunication.com/newsite/profil.php?Id=128&langue=2) and the Etape this year. We weren't planning on doing the latter but some of us got some late Etape registration numbers so off we go for the double dose of cycling lunacy!

Oh, and one other thing is different: I dusted off my Quarkexpress/photoshop skills this winter and threw together our first glossy brochure! The original was a high-res PDF but you can get the gist of it w/ these JPG's. The text has be redacted to protect the innocent. Friday could not come fast enough!!

A+

Philippe

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
I was France in 2003, staying in St. Hilaire, which is a huge parasailing mecca outside Grenoble. I got down to the Vercors and did a loop from Pont-en-Royans, through the Grand Goulets, then up to Vassieux-en-Vercors, up and over the hill and down through the Combe Laval, then back to the start. It was one of the greatest rides I've ever done.

I wish I could go. If I win the lottery real soon, I'll jet over.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
philippec said:
Yes ....... someone shoot me now!
You. are. insane! :wink:

i've got a training partner who's doing the Marmotte on Saturday, and another friend who's doing the Etappe on Monday (with Abraham Olano none the less).

will you be able to walk in a weeks time? :wink:

· I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
botto said:
You. are. insane! :wink:

i've got a training partner who's doing the Marmotte on Saturday, and another friend who's doing the Etappe on Monday (with Abraham Olano none the less).

will you be able to walk in a weeks time? :wink:
Walk, yes. The real question is will I have sold my bike!!!!!

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
philippec said:
Walk, yes. The real question is will I have sold my bike!!!!!
yeah, i think if it was me, then i'd be flirting with burn-out BIG TIME trying to do both.

but hey, i'm lazy :wink:

bon chance and ride safe!

ps - allez les blues!!!

· It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Man, I would kill to do a trip like that. That pretty much looks like paradise to me.

Oh and the pic in the Name & Shame section is especially scenic, I think I may need you to send me the original of that :)

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Dreaming of France

And, I only have been home for two hours.

I am sure that Philippe will post a full report with pictures in due course. But, here is a quick report on my part of the trip.

My wife, daughters and I spent a week on the Cote d'Azur before I met up with the guys for Philippe's spectacular trip. The Marmotte just about killed me. It was very hot and I had severe stomach cramps from about the 30 mile mark. I missed the cutoff at Bourg d'Oisans by 10 minutes. However, I had to climb for about 5 excruciating miles to get to where we were staying for a total of 106 miles for the day. Everyone else in the group finished the Marmotte successfully. I was one of the "lucky" people who was able to snag a last minute entry into the Etape two days later. I knew that I really was in no shape to do another Alpine killer ride, but I did it anyway -- at least the first 108 miles. By the time I was approaching Bourg d'Oisans it was clear that I was near the elimination time and the temperatures were in the 90s. I slowed down and missed the cut by 11 minutes. I was angry that I was not able to continue up Alpe d'Huez. But, riding up in the voiture balai was a lot better that my climb at the end of the Marmotte. Philippe finished the Etape in excellent time -- I think that he may have received a gold medal. After my two days of suffering, I needed a little recovery time. I did some shortened rides in the Vercors while the rest of the group did some longer ones. The scenery and climbs were great. On Saturday we climbed Le Mont Ventoux from Bedoin and descended to Sault through some of the most picturesque scenery I ever have ridden through. Yesterday, we watched to Tour on the Col de Perty.

The trip back was epic -- a four hour drive in the dark from Provence to Lyon, a flight from Lyon to London, a five hour layover in London and then a flight home. It was almost exactly 24 hours from the time I left Philippe and the guys until I crossed the threshold of my house.

I really need to get to sleep. There are lots of good stories that will be told over the coming days and weeks. But, before I sign off I just wanted to thank Philippe for a most memorable trip and the rest of the guys for their support.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.