Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone read on the Tour of Ga site the team rosters? Come'on, this is a great race and it seems as though it's getting little interest from the Euro teams. I only recognize a hand full of names. Now don't get me wrong, I'm going and support it 200%, but is it just the calender placing (during the middle of classics season) or is it not big enough to send top riders. Again, don't get me wrong, all these guys are pros and top riders, but I'd like to have seen McEwen who was orignally on the list, come over. What about CSC, why couldn't Julich or Voight come? Quick Step couldn't send one of thier classic stars?

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end. I think California's placing on the calender is better, and for some reason I feel all the support will be geared toward it now that Armstrong's gone. Personally I'm looking forward to meeting my hero Jonathon Page who's more popular in Europe for cross then he is in the US.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Why?

Mosovich said:
Has anyone read on the Tour of Ga site the team rosters? Come'on, this is a great race and it seems as though it's getting little interest from the Euro teams. I only recognize a hand full of names. Now don't get me wrong, I'm going and support it 200%, but is it just the calender placing (during the middle of classics season) or is it not big enough to send top riders. Again, don't get me wrong, all these guys are pros and top riders, but I'd like to have seen McEwen who was orignally on the list, come over. What about CSC, why couldn't Julich or Voight come? Quick Step couldn't send one of thier classic stars?

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end. I think California's placing on the calender is better, and for some reason I feel all the support will be geared toward it now that Armstrong's gone. Personally I'm looking forward to meeting my hero Jonathon Page who's more popular in Europe for cross then he is in the US.
Why would they waste their time on a backwater US event? True, it is a great race, but for the most part, they have bigger fish to fry over across the pond unfortunately. Julich will be preparing for the Giro, and this race isn't for him. Voight? Again, bigger races are calling.

Tour of Georgia is a big stage race for the US, and namely for US riders and their teams, but for most of the euro guys and teams, it's not a big deal at all, and they possibly couldn't care less. And yes, it is placed badly on the calendar. Look at the people that showed at the Tour of California, mostly because it was early season, and a good chance to get to stretch the old legs. Now, it's getting down to crunch time, and there are big Spring classic races to be raced. Georgia, does not factor into most Euro team's schedules, unless they have a US racer with some cache that wants to do the race. Hence, you have Phonak and Floyd.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
The problem is that the UCI have placed the TdG at a point in the calendar where it clashes with these races. A win in the Ardennes is worth so much more to a rider than the TdG, unless he's an American.
  • Giro del Trentino (2.1)
  • La Flèche Wallonne (PT)
  • Liège - Bastogne - Liège (PT)
  • Tour de Romandie (PT)
The 2.HC status they have conferred on it is artificially high IMO, to entice riders to the US. But the commercial coverage a win in Georgia will get will be confined in the main to the US. Most ProTour sponsors are interested firstly in European coverage. It's not that long ago that an Italian team riding the Belgian Classics was unusual. So to expect non US stars or their teams to travel all the way to the US at the expense of these races is a bit much.

The Tour of California's placing in the calendar and it's ranking are more in keeping with it's standing. If you look at the field that finished the race 37% were American riders. I suspect that the US is too far to go to race after the season gets going.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
One other thing I thought of..

ultimobici said:
The problem is that the UCI have placed the TdG at a point in the calendar where it clashes with these races. A win in the Ardennes is worth so much more to a rider than the TdG, unless he's an American.
  • Giro del Trentino (2.1)
  • La Flèche Wallonne (PT)
  • Liège - Bastogne - Liège (PT)
  • Tour de Romandie (PT)
The 2.HC status they have conferred on it is artificially high IMO, to entice riders to the US. But the commercial coverage a win in Georgia will get will be confined in the main to the US. Most ProTour sponsors are interested firstly in European coverage. It's not that long ago that an Italian team riding the Belgian Classics was unusual. So to expect non US stars or their teams to travel all the way to the US at the expense of these races is a bit much.

The Tour of California's placing in the calendar and it's ranking are more in keeping with it's standing. If you look at the field that finished the race 37% were American riders. I suspect that the US is too far to go to race after the season gets going.
Also, since it is a stage race, they teams have to move around a lot more equipment from their service courses in Europe to the US. Extra bikes, TT bikes, climbing bikes, and the like. It's hard to logistically get all of that equipment from Europe to Georgia, and it's also expensive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Georgia should go ahead and pull out of the cycling world. They are awful rosters that don't even really matter. No one respects this event and it is in the worst spot calander wise. I thought at first when the roster was released it was going to a pretty damn good race. But low and behold everyone and there brother pulled out of the race. And the American support for this event is piss poor. And for god sakes no hincapie, lephihemer, Horner, and Bobby J. I mean they might as well have 5 year olds on tricycles doing this damn race. Im very disrepected and dissapointed with the race, rosters, support, and advierstment. SOO THE WINNER IS THE TOUR OF CALIFORNIA!!!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The people that put on the Tour of California also put on the Tour of Ga., I just wonder if they all thier efforts in the Tour or California this year and no so much in Ga. The Ga. course is better, you have real mtn. stages and every thing that makes up a good cycling course. I think it's just calender placement.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No more lance

I think part of the problem too is their isnt anymore lance armstrong for this race. Atleast last year alot of the marketing hype was the tour de france champ doing the race, which brought alot of people out. Now since he retired and lack of knowledge people have about cycling in this country many people dont even care anymore. For the ToC it was early season, it wasnt significantly hard, and it was hyped i think a little too much. If you look at the rosters this year and compare them to last years, i dont think we have a quarter of the talent we had last year. But you never know this just may be a bad year for the TdG. Lets just be thankful its still around and being the highest ranked in north america.

·
Registered
139 Posts
SOO THE WINNER IS THE TOUR OF CALIFORNIA!!!
TOC was a great race, but the TDG is very good too. I think they do great with what they have to work with such as the timing and geographic region. I know it will never be anything major and has most likely taken a backseat to the TOC.
On the other hand I want cycling to grow in the US. So I for one am not going to sit around and cry and moan about what it is not. I am going to go watch a stage or two see some young and upcoming American Riders and enjoy what I have. Im sure some of the same complainers are crying about OLN as well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Did you GO to the TdeG? How can you say support was poor? I was STUNNED by the crowds. You couldn't park, you couldn't drive, shuttle lines on BB were huge; I found it amazing.

What will it be like this year, without Lance? That's the question.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
Ppffffff!

Pretty disgusting comments here about a great race. But I am not suprised because of the some of the posters' typical negative attitudes.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
One other thing....

Just because there isn't a single french rider, it doesn't mean that it's a crappy race.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts