Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided I wanted to ride in Lake Tahoe and sighed up for this tour. I will be coming from Phoenix, AZ so I was hoping I could get some questions answered.

1.Is this a true Tour event our are there a lot of people trying to race it.

2. What will the temps be in the morning and during the day. I read that there will be drop bags privided at the first 2 rest areas. I also looked at the weather profile and it said low 40's in the morning and low 70's during the day.

3. What should I bring for clothing.

4. How are the rest stops, they say thay are well stocked. I will bring food as I am slow and almost always the rest stops are picked over by the time I get to them.

5. There is a lunch stop in the middle of the ride?.

6. Any advice our suggestions please.

I know that I can finish, but I am sure that the altitude is going to kill me. So I guess I should I just take my time and bring a camera and enjoy the ride.

THX>:thumbsup:

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
You should cross reference this post on the Nor. Cal forums. You'll likely get a lot more answers.

1.Is this a true Tour event our are there a lot of people trying to race it.

It's both. You get some people who think they are going for their personal best, but for the most part you will have a very large number of people who are generally just rolling along enjoying the scenery. Lots of Team in Training folks and other groups who are just out for the enjoyment of it. I definitely would not worry in the least about people racing it as they will be in the minority by far.

2. What will the temps be in the morning and during the day. I read that there will be drop bags privided at the first 2 rest areas. I also looked at the weather profile and it said low 40's in the morning and low 70's during the day.

September can have very wild and varying weather around here. I've ridden it when the high was in the 90's and I've ridden Tahoe when it was snowing in the first week of September. All I can tell you is to bring enough clothes that you could survive a 32F start with a highs in the 50's in a worst case scenario. Fall can also have some of the best riding weather in the world here IMO. More than likely you will have weather with temps around 72-75F and a ride start around 40F-45F. Normally when I ride Tahoe in the fall after September 1 I start out wearing leg warmers, arm warmers, normal jersey and bibs, and a windbreaker. They usually come off after about 11AM or so. If all is normal you should have some terrific riding weather.

3. What should I bring for clothing.

Watch the weather reports, but like I said above you shouldn't need a whole lot of extra stuff. Long fingered gloves (light to midweight) are highly recommended and I would throw in some ear protection just in case the morning lows dip. Better to pack the tights and warmer riding jacket and not need them than to not have them and need them. Honestly, I expect that the weather will be perfect for riding.

4. How are the rest stops, they say thay are well stocked. I will bring food as I am slow and almost always the rest stops are picked over by the time I get to them.

Good rest stops on this ride. I seriously doubt you will need to bring food along as there will be quite a few people who are slower than you. Trust me. Even so, the key to the best food is to leave 30 to 45 minutes earlier than the mobs. Better riding anyway.

5. There is a lunch stop in the middle of the ride?.

Yes, a very good lunch stop. I don't remember exactly where though.

6. Any advice our suggestions please.

Take your time. There's only two difficult climbs on the ride. Emerald Bay is short but a kicker. The nice thing is there are several pull outs where you can pull off and look at some of the best views back toward South Lake Tahoe than you can get anywhere else on the ride. One hint, once you are past the first 15mph turn it climbs straight and narrow towards the final big S turn. Don't stop on the road on this narrow section if you can at all keep your legs going. There's a pull out to a campground if you need it. If you stop on the road it forces the riders out into traffic and there will be enough cars that it plugs things up. You can do it! :) The second hard climb is out of Incline Village but it is slow and steady and definitely not brutal. Take your time and enjoy the fantastic views to your west. Unbelivable views of the Sierras. The good thing is that doing the ride in September usually means this climb isn't too hot and you'll do fine.

I know that I can finish, but I am sure that the altitude is going to kill me. So I guess I should I just take my time and bring a camera and enjoy the ride.

Only other advice that I have is to not fret over the ride too much. It's not too difficult and is very enjoyable. Plan on using the drop bags for everything but your light windbreaker. You might need it descending Highway 50 back into South Lake. When making the descent into South Lake there are some serious cracks and some irritating grates on the edge of the road. Don't avoid taking the whole right lane on the four lane highway if you need to. It's not too bad but keep your head up and eyes open. It's easy to get distracted by the views. Other than that, there's nothing much else I can think of. Have a fun ride.

Oh yeah, for after the ride pack some fleece and comfortable warm clothing. Once the sun goes down the temps plunge quickly afterward. It can get a little nippy in short order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.