Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having spent some time following stage2, riding up Calaveras and backside of Sierra I have first hand witnessed some of the crazy driving by both the CHP and race staff. There is really no reason for the idiot in the silver Audi to come screaming down the road at 100+ miles and hour when the riders are still almost 1/2 hour behind. Some of the CHP were not any better. I saw on the ESPN broadcast that CHP guy almost take out the break going down into Milpitas. At that speed someone could have got killed...not good! No wonder some of the locals were pissed.

Some of the guys on motorbikes could also use some lessons from their European counterparts.

On a positive note it was incredible to see Floyd and Levi descend after the climb. Scary fast! I don't think I have ever seen anybody go that fast on a bike! (almost as fast as that Audi :D )

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Yeah, I was watching it on TV and when I saw the CHP car go by I thought "holy crap, he's going to hit them!" Blah on that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
CHP speed

I just got back from watching Stage 3. About a half hour before the riders were scheduled to start a column of CHP came whipping up the winding two lane road; maybe four cars and a half dozen motorcycles. Much faster than necessary. One of the tour officials said that they were clearing and closing the course. At the speed they came through anyone on the course would have been a speed bump.
While I appreciate the fact that they are out there (and getting paid for it) there was just no reason for the speed they were traveling.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
430 Posts
I recall a post, I'm not sure which BB, that the CHP wants bicycles off the road. The "spirit" of the law allows them (CHP) to remove bikes off the road.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
wheel_suker said:
Some of the guys on motorbikes could also use some lessons from their European counterparts.
You didn't say if you have been to any European races, but I have, and it's pretty much the same thing. When I was at the Tour, I was amazed at how reckless the drivers were. Every three years or so, they actually kill someone.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Csc Invitational

I've noticed this at the CSC Invitational the last two years. I think that for some of the folks, it is a chance to tear a$$ around and not have to worry about speeding tickets, so they take full advantage of the opportunity.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think this is standard around here...

Ignatz said:
I just got back from watching Stage 3. About a half hour before the riders were scheduled to start a column of CHP came whipping up the winding two lane road; maybe four cars and a half dozen motorcycles. Much faster than necessary. One of the tour officials said that they were clearing and closing the course. At the speed they came through anyone on the course would have been a speed bump.
While I appreciate the fact that they are out there (and getting paid for it) there was just no reason for the speed they were traveling.
I live near Redlands, site of the Redlands Classic. In years past (Race has been very much reduced this year) the Oak Glen stage took the riders through about 100 mile of roads, many of them local highways and streets. Your descriptions pretty much match what I've seen along that stage every year for nearly a decade. In 2004 Dave Zabriskie had to be airlifted out after a bad crash on the stage. There were accusations that poor traffic management was to blame for the crash he was caught in. In reality it has to be a tough job to keep a rolling management of a course like that. I used to do some Race Direction for foot races and just keeping things in place on a simple 5k course was a nightmare.

As for me I am just about to head up to SLO to catch the last few stages!

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
Argentius said:
Yeah, I was watching it on TV and when I saw the CHP car go by I thought "holy crap, he's going to hit them!" Blah on that.
Plus they're bunny hopping the reflectors in the middle of the road. All this at 50+ mph.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mohair_chair said:
You didn't say if you have been to any European races, but I have, and it's pretty much the same thing. When I was at the Tour, I was amazed at how reckless the drivers were. Every three years or so, they actually kill someone.
Yes but hit someone here with the litigation in this country, we would never again be able to stage the race.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Chp

I'm a retired CHP. I used to work out of the San Jose Office back in the 70's and 80's. I rode road bikes and patrolled the same areas they traveled on the TOC. I would imagine that the officer who blew by the lead group in a dangerous fashion and being televised on national T.V. probably ended up in the Captains officer at the end of the shift and probably got pulled from that detail. Just because you drive a black and white car does not make you a rocket scientist...

And the CHP in general, could probably care less about cyclist, one-way-or-the-other. They probably think it's pretty dangerous, and after surviving two serious crashes, they are probably right. CHP Officers are just people and all have their likes and dislikes. I imagine a few of them ride road bikes themselves..some of them look like they need the exercise...

·
Registered
485 Posts
its the testoserone (spelling?) they are idiots having a good time and take advantage of their "authority" also when they speed on the freeway it makes me mad b/c they should be doing the speed limit like us unless its an emergency. Also the volunteers took advantage. every chance they got they would yell at the viewers. All of this just lead to an upset enviorment.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did notice a CHP motorcycle cop helping the guy that crashed at the end of stage 4 back on the bike, so theres that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i noticed that too... i also noticed he took or yanked the bike away from mavic neutral support. I was thinking what is he doing?!! if anything he should make sure no one should run over the rider.

·
Super Moderator
19,483 Posts
wheel_suker said:
Having spent some time following stage2, riding up Calaveras and backside of Sierra I have first hand witnessed some of the crazy driving by both the CHP and race staff. There is really no reason for the idiot in the silver Audi to come screaming down the road at 100+ miles and hour when the riders are still almost 1/2 hour behind. Some of the CHP were not any better. I saw on the ESPN broadcast that CHP guy almost take out the break going down into Milpitas. At that speed someone could have got killed...not good! No wonder some of the locals were pissed.

On a positive note it was incredible to see Floyd and Levi descend after the climb. Scary fast! I don't think I have ever seen anybody go that fast on a bike! (almost as fast as that Audi :D )
I was on the San Marcos Pass in Santa Barbara today and I will say the CHP was much better behaved. The CHP as well as the race officials drove at a safe speed. Every once in a while as we were waiting for the race, a CHP officer would drive by and over his PA, announce the whereabouts of the race leaders. Today the race seemed to be well run.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
il sogno said:
Plus they're bunny hopping the reflectors in the middle of the road. All this at 50+ mph.

I hate those damn things. Those dome shaped puck things suck a$$ too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts