Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've received lots of good encouragement and support after making the Tour of California Community Video Project announcement last month and it has now been re-christened the Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project. The idea has been expanded and in order to pull it off I'll need to spend a lot more time than planned retooling my travelogue site during the first half of February. That means I won't be involved pre-rides, but starting around Feburary 10th, I'll be testing the new system with pre-ride photos and videos from those who are interested in helping test the system before the event starts. The best pre-ride photos and videos will be incorporated into each day's stage photo gallery and video recap along with the race photos.

I've also updated the race stage summary page you might have viewed in mid-January with links to the pdf route maps and route timetables recently made available on the official site. These maps will be useful in helping you know how and when to show up at key points along the route. If you have a digital camera don't forget to bring it. Even if you only take a few photos and videos they might be valuable moments for sharing in the Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project collective storyboard.

Updated race details and an explanation of the Grassy Knoll Project:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/route/

(updated Feb 17th: it's now up and running see the new message in this thread for more details.)

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Looking forward to it

For those of us here on the East Coast who usually are asleep by 1:00 a.m., we are going to have to rely on webcoverage of the race (and watching whatever we tape from ESPN2). I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
MarkS said:
For those of us here on the East Coast who usually are asleep by 1:00 a.m., we are going to have to rely on webcoverage of the race (and watching whatever we tape from ESPN2). I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.
It's definitely not going to look as slick as what you should expect from the ESPN2 coverage, but it should be entertaining! It might even include contributions from a few domestic team riders. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds. At least you'll get to watch some event coverage before you go to bed each night that week.

·
Registered
43 Posts
does it strike anyone else that this is an incredibly bad name for your "project"? the first thing that comes to mind is some psycho with a rifle picking off pro cyclists.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It seems no one remembers

sidi45 said:
does it strike anyone else that this is an incredibly bad name for your "project"? the first thing that comes to mind is some psycho with a rifle picking off pro cyclists.
My immediate thought was that no worse name could have been picked. But our collective memories have dimmed- on the last anniversary of Kennedy's assassination, I saw no notice of it in the local newspaper.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
sidi45 said:
The people I've run the name by liked it. Some initially gasped but then smiled and chuckled. I figured it would offend some people for historical reasons, but it has been over 40 years. I don't want the name to be a stumbling block and diminish or hurt the project. If I could think of a better name than I would use it but I haven't. Nothing that I thought of better describes a collection of photographs and home movies shot by race spectators, but there could certainly be a better name. I'd like to use GrassyKnoll as modern metaphor. Is 42 years not long enough?

The name isn't set in stone... yet... so if enough people feel it's distasteful then I'll probably change it but it would be good to hear alternatives.

Should I go with something descriptive but bland like the "Tour of California Internet Project" or stay the course?

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Dead Kennedys

steephill said:
Should I go with something descriptive but bland like the "Tour of California Internet Project" or stay the course?
I could argue this one either way. The name kind of startled me at first. But, it does describe the project well. Also, the name is memorable -- kind of like the Dead Kennedys of punk rock fame. I don't know much about punk bands, but I remember the name of the Dead Kennedys. People will remember the Grassy Knoll Project, too -- at least those people who are old enough to know what happened on November 22, 1963. I say stay the course.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sidi45 said:
Please explain.
You've asked Mark, but better to ask me:

Documentaries that have analyzed the Grassy Knoll Theory, ad nauseum, used chronologically sequenced photos and home movies from spectators along the parade route to reconstruct events around the scene of the crime. The spectators unknowingly became the media that day.

Coverage of the Tour of California is tightly controlled by AEG. I'd like to see this project demonstrate how effectively spectators can document a geographically dispersed event like a 100 mile point to point bike race. Today with the current popularity of blogging, photo sharing, and skepticism of the media, I thought this "We are the media" idea would be appropriate. The use of the term Grassy Knoll is a metaphor to the past and a phrase that succinctly captures these ideas, and is applicable to other events besides bike racing.

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
I'm going to try and take in that start of Stage 1 in Sausalito. If I can make it, I'll post whatever I get.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tt

I'll be on-course somewhere (still trying to figure out the best spot) for the individual time trial. I'll upload what I get (still photos).

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
The finish and start stages in San Luis Obispo are walking distance from my office. I plan to bring my camera to both and hope to have something worth sharing.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
mickey-mac said:
The finish and start stages in San Luis Obispo are walking distance from my office. I plan to bring my camera to both and hope to have something worth sharing.
The beta version of the system is now up and running. Here is the service in a nutshell:

- You can upload 8MB of images, video or audio at a time via the web or 200 MB per day via FTP.

- Upload both race day and pre-ride content.

- The photo/video gallery is totally dynamic ie. there are multiple ways to search and sort through the content to create galleries on the fly. Here's an example of a gallery that will grow as (real) prologue content is added:
http://www.steephill.tv/grassyknoll/storyboard.php?event=1&filter=9185

- You can vote on and summerize the best content using a "my favorite" feature.

- Geocoding isn't quite finished but you can enter a location description or the geocodes manually with the help of a link map. Hopefully, geocoding will be working in the next day or so. The next step will involve plotting the clips on a google map.

- The best contributions will be rolled into a nightly video recap of each stage.

I've removed the test photos so the system is ready to start with fresh content. Upload some photos of the stages you've ridden and of race day and see what you think:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/

enjoy the tour!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts