Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All eight days are now documented and the timelines have been adjusted to account for differences in camera times. All stages have been recently updated:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/

Some observations:
* There are a lot of damn good "amateur" photographers out there!
* It's very cool seeing a moment in time captured by sometimes 3 or 4 different people from different angles.
* More video than expected was submitted. (Tip: you can find only the video clips by deselecting 'photos' in the storyboard filter and then clicking 'Create Gallery')
* This citizen journalism project was a topic of conversation at the event among the top organizers, the pros, the press and other photographers. I got a lot of big grins from the pros but the organizers see it as a threat to their television rights and I may have trouble getting media credentials again.
* As my wife said, "it's better to be controversial than boring!"

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,953 Posts
steephill said:
All eight days are now documented and the timelines have been adjusted to account for differences in camera times. All stages have been recently updated:

http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/

Some obversations:
* There are a lot of damn good "amateur" photographers out there!
* It's very cool seeing a moment in time captured by sometimes 3 or 4 different people from different angles.
* More video than expected was submitted. (Tip: you can find only the video clips by deselecting 'photos' in the storyboard filter and then clicking 'Create Gallery')
* This citizen journalism project was a topic of conversation at the event among the top organizers, the pros, the press and other photographers. I got a lot of big grins from the pros but the organizers see it as a threat to their television rights and I may have trouble getting media credentials again.
Steve -- outstanding job!!

makes me think I need to negotiate the media rights to this summer's trip ASAP!

Philippe

·
Registered
65 Posts
steephill said:
Appears to be bunch of little fish being shortsighted and ignoring the bigger picture.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
philippec said:

Philippe

I have already done that. You will be paid the same amount that I was paid for my starring role in the soon-to-be-released Spinervals 26.0. And, you won't have to ride on a trainer for 6+ hours.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Great Idea

Hi Steve

Thanks for putting this thing together and hosting it. It was a lot of fun contributing--kinda gave more of a purpose to being there. I agree that for the media people to be concerned about this infringing on their TV rights is short-sighted. While this project was well done, it can never compete with full video coverage of an event like this. Thanks again.

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MarkS said:
I have already done that. You will be paid the same amount that I was paid for my starring role in the soon-to-be-released Spinervals 26.0. And, you won't have to ride on a trainer for 6+ hours.
Nothing like having someone of your profession in my corner ;)

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
johngfoster said:
Hi Steve

Thanks for putting this thing together and hosting it. It was a lot of fun contributing--kinda gave more of a purpose to being there. I agree that for the media people to be concerned about this infringing on their TV rights is short-sighted. While this project was well done, it can never compete with full video coverage of an event like this. Thanks again.
I totally agree that grassy knoll coveage can't match full video coverage but the organizers are really strict on where the media can shoot video and for the most part I only took video in non-credential areas. It's a business for the organizers and not so much a celebration of cycling. If you can't bring them revenue then you aren't important to them. Nipping any potential competiton in the bud is there way of staying in control.

(By the way, I'll get around to rotating your photos that need it... eventually)

·
The view is the reward
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
philippec said:

Philippe
The only rights I'm looking for is the right to have fun. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts