Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The view is the reward
Joined
·
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took the contents from today's Amgen press release and linked it to the profiles and google maps they've have elsewhere on their site:

http://www.steephill.tv/entries/tour-of-california-course.html

I plan on riding the route and taking pictures for some pre-event reporting. Anyone want to join me for the rides in the Bay Area and Southern California? I'll post my pre-ride plans on my web site and here as they develop.
 

·
pinoy thunder
Joined
·
341 Posts
I can join when you get to So Cal. (Redondo Beach/Palos Verdes area)
 

·
Does it matter?
Joined
·
751 Posts
thanks for posting........

I've been waiting for this info.

I just knew they were going to go over the San Marcos Pass. I've driven up it while visiting relatives in the area and thought to myself this would be a good climb for a bike. It's a beast. They've given it a Cat. 1 rating.

I'd hope to be able to scope out a good spot there, going to have to look into that.

any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Does anyone have any detailed info on San Marcos Pass? I've looked around a little and about all I see is the description is on the T of C website saying it is 4 miles long. That doesn't seem very long for a Cat 1 climb, even if it is at the end of the stage. Is the road that steep?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
Category One?

thebadger said:
Does anyone have any detailed info on San Marcos Pass? I've looked around a little and about all I see is the description is on the T of C website saying it is 4 miles long. That doesn't seem very long for a Cat 1 climb, even if it is at the end of the stage. Is the road that steep?
I don't know those particular roads, but I think they're using a categorization system of their own devising. Estimating from the profile, it looks like about 1400 feet gain in 4 miles, a 7% average. That's fairly steep, but at that length there's no way it would be a Cat 1 climb in le Tour, even if it were at the end of a very long stage. It'd be a 3 probably, maybe a 2.

I don't think there are many places in the Coast Range of California where you could have a true Euro Cat 1 climb. The Sierras are another matter entirely -- I'd love to see a world-class race go up Tioga pass to the east side of Yosemite Park, or up the Mt. Rose Road from Reno to Tahoe (I think the Coors Classic did that one years ago).

That said, this year's ToC does look like a very cool race.
 

·
Do not touch the trim.
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
thebadger said:
Does anyone have any detailed info on San Marcos Pass? I've looked around a little and about all I see is the description is on the T of C website saying it is 4 miles long. That doesn't seem very long for a Cat 1 climb, even if it is at the end of the stage. Is the road that steep?
It's a good climb, doing it from the ocean side is harder but I think they'll be doing it from the inland side. Remember, this is in February and I think they puposely kept things a little mellow to keep from shelling the whole field and have the sprinters finish out of the time limit and not be able to ride the next day.
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
JCavilia said:
I don't know those particular roads, but I think they're using a categorization system of their own devising. Estimating from the profile, it looks like about 1400 feet gain in 4 miles, a 7% average. That's fairly steep, but at that length there's no way it would be a Cat 1 climb in le Tour, even if it were at the end of a very long stage. It'd be a 3 probably, maybe a 2.

I don't think there are many places in the Coast Range of California where you could have a true Euro Cat 1 climb. The Sierras are another matter entirely -- I'd love to see a world-class race go up Tioga pass to the east side of Yosemite Park, or up the Mt. Rose Road from Reno to Tahoe (I think the Coors Classic did that one years ago).

That said, this year's ToC does look like a very cool race.
I've done TDF cat 1 and HC climbs, and Gibraltar Road out of Santa Barbara easily fits into that group.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
I'm not arguing that the T of CA should be a climbing-fest and crush the sprinters with massive time splits. I was merely curious what the grade was since the climb was relatively short but highly rated. Categorixation of mountains is certainly not an exact science snd the organizers can rate them however they like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
steephill said:
I took the contents from today's Amgen press release and linked it to the profiles and google maps they've have elsewhere on their site:

http://www.steephill.tv/entries/tour-of-california-course.html

I plan on riding the route and taking pictures for some pre-event reporting. Anyone want to join me for the rides in the Bay Area and Southern California? I'll post my pre-ride plans on my web site and here as they develop.
I can meet you in Tomales (on Hwy 1 about 50 miles north of Sausalito) for the ride up to Santa Rosa (Stage 1).
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top