Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just fyi, the coverage on ESPN2 is excellent. Do not miss it!!

I simply cannot believe it exists and it's in such excellent form. Bob Roll and Paul Sherwin are commentating and doing the fine job. A lot of the annoying things from OLN are not there.

Also fascinating that they're using a lot of Google Earth for course analysis. Spectacular tool... and it's free!!

Here's the schedule again:
TV Schedule
Prologue-Sunday February 19 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)
Stage 1-Monday February 20 ESPN2 11:00pm (PST)
Stage 2-Tuesday February 21 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)
Stage 3-Wednesday February 22 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)
Stage 4-Thursday February 23 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)
Stage 5-Friday February 24 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)
Stage 6-Saturday February 25 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)
Stage 7-Sunday February 26 ESPN2 10:00pm (PST)

So don't miss it.

francis

·
Registered
131 Posts
Makes you appreciate the TdF camera work

I never realized how good the motorcycle cameramen are at the TdF until I just watched stage 1 from the ToC. ESPN2 needs to hire a couple of Euro cameramen. It was so hard to watch the coverage from the front of the pack that I had to keep looking away. The cameraman shot the ground, sky, houses - and occasionally got some bike racers in the frame. Often the lens was zoomed out so far you couldn't really tell anything about what was going on.

I know, I know, it's a hard job and I couldn't do nearly as well. No question. But come on, they're supposed to hire pro's to do the job and this was really amateurish.

·
Registered
212 Posts
DMoore said:
I never realized how good the motorcycle cameramen are at the TdF until I just watched stage 1 from the ToC. ESPN2 needs to hire a couple of Euro cameramen. It was so hard to watch the coverage from the front of the pack that I had to keep looking away. The cameraman shot the ground, sky, houses - and occasionally got some bike racers in the frame. Often the lens was zoomed out so far you couldn't really tell anything about what was going on.

I know, I know, it's a hard job and I couldn't do nearly as well. No question. But come on, they're supposed to hire pro's to do the job and this was really amateurish.

I have to agree with what you are saying + I couldn't really figure out what was going on in the end at the finish line because the camera is position at a bad angle. Kind of dispointed at the last few laps in santa rosa.

·
Banned
608 Posts
DMoore said:
I never realized how good the motorcycle cameramen are at the TdF until I just watched stage 1 from the ToC. ESPN2 needs to hire a couple of Euro cameramen.
On the plus side Bob Roll is about a ten times better commentator than he used to be. I remember feeling bad for Paul and Phil when Roll would start talking and go on and on and on, not letting the other two get a word in edgewise. Now he makes a point quick enough that there is a good give and take between Paul and himself.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I watched!!!

I gave it a look this am, and got the wifer and 5 year old to watch as well!!! Im happy the season is underway and we have at least some exposure to racing here in the states. I completely agree with that motorcycle statement. Man, when disco went on that 2-man attack you would have sworn they were on cobbles... it was crazy.

What was the weather like, I didnt hear. A lot had arm warmers on at the start.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
On the plus side Bob Roll is about a ten times better commentator than he used to be. I remember feeling bad for Paul and Phil when Roll would start talking and go on and on and on, not letting the other two get a word in edgewise. Now he makes a point quick enough that there is a good give and take between Paul and himself.
If you have noticed the pre-race intros they haven't given bob his own microphone. He must be on some sort of probationary status with espn2.

The motorbike camera work is a little helter-skelter at times, but it seemed like the actual quality and clarity of the footage was better than in the euro races? Brighter and more crisp no?

Much better coverage than oln. They even interviewed Haedo and Leipheimer. So cool.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
funknuggets said:
I gave it a look this am, and got the wifer and 5 year old to watch as well!!! Im happy the season is underway and we have at least some exposure to racing here in the states. I completely agree with that motorcycle statement. Man, when disco went on that 2-man attack you would have sworn they were on cobbles... it was crazy.

What was the weather like, I didnt hear. A lot had arm warmers on at the start.
It was probably 50s at the start and 60 or so towards the finish.

The camera work was a bit lacking, but overall the coverage of stage 1 was good. The prologue coverage was really terrible, they couldn't follow riders past a certain point on the hill just due to logistics, so they would just zoom as they kept riding. A couple more fixed cameras on the hill would've been a huge improvement.

Silas

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SilasCL said:
The prologue coverage was really terrible...

Silas
C'mon. I thought it was great. It's one of the best coverage I've seen in th US. Great commentating, good footage and interviews.

francois

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
francois said:
C'mon. I thought it was great. It's one of the best coverage I've seen in th US. Great commentating, good footage and interviews.

francois
I agree about the off-bike and commentary, but the actual biking footage was bad. I don't completely blame them, as it was a tough course to cover logistically. That being said, how can you cover a TT without a stopwatch on screen? Have they watched the TdF? Or any olympics coverage?

Silas

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Damn Gonzaga!!!

If they could have put Pepperdine away faster I wouldn't have missed the sprint finish! No wonder they can't make it in that elite group of 4 (including 2 teams from my beloved Big East). Nothing like a few minute overlap from the game throwoff the recorder timing. They were well within that last 1K too. Ahh well...

·
Registered
47 Posts
neded to adjust your DVR

beaker said:
If they could have put Pepperdine away faster I wouldn't have missed the sprint finish! No wonder they can't make it in that elite group of 4 (including 2 teams from my beloved Big East). Nothing like a few minute overlap from the game throwoff the recorder timing. They were well within that last 1K too. Ahh well...
Same thing happened to me, I now set the dvr to record 30 min after the end of program. You can do thuis by going into recording options. Sorry if you aklready knew that!
Tim

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SilasCL said:
I agree about the off-bike and commentary, but the actual biking footage was bad. I don't completely blame them, as it was a tough course to cover logistically. That being said, how can you cover a TT without a stopwatch on screen? Have they watched the TdF? Or any olympics coverage?

Silas
Stopwatch. Sorely missing. The simple solution is a big timer on the back side of the of the finish line. Big time-trial is tomorrow. That would be a great improvement!!

francois

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did anyone else catch them refer to California as the Sunshine State. I always thought Florida was the Sunshine State.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
this ROCKS

race commentary is lacking, but cool nonetheless...

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
funknuggets said:
race commentary is lacking, but cool nonetheless...
You watching CBS5? The chopper guy usually does our local traffic. Ch 5 earns big bonus points from me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts