Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
i'm trying to imagine anyone else winning a sprint from that position....ok, not competing against kittel, but still!:eek:

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Took my daughter to her first race

We rode and caught a couple segments

First Climb Laurel Street 18% Grade. Welcome to our flat little beach town

Attachments

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
then at the finish. We had a pretty sweet spot.Plus a good view of the podium

Attachments

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
a few post race pix. My daughter got to talk racing with Phil and Paul, but was too shy to get her pic with the stage winner

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
We drove over to Honey Springs Rd to cheer on our favorite Slovakian, Peter Sagan!

Here's my wife (me in the back).

Costume Vehicle registration plate Banner Overhead power line Automotive tail & brake light

(the black bar is because gets mad when I post her photo all over the interweb.)

The speed of the pros uphill, vs. the speed of the enthusiast/club riders, was like night and day.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
(the black bar is because gets mad when I post her photo all over the interweb..
Sorry, I didn't notice she had a face.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice she had a face.
Ha ha, nice!

Seriously, though, all those sprinters in the field and Sagan did that?

Hoping to watch the Santa Rosa stage from Coleman Valley Road. If I were still single 100% chance, with wife and baby somewhere near 10% chance...

Still bummed they are pretty much skipping the Bay Area this year.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
In years past, they came right by our house and I didn't watch. (Work, kids, etc.)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
We drove over to Honey Springs Rd to cheer on our favorite Slovakian, Peter Sagan!

Here's my wife (me in the back).

View attachment 314184

(the black bar is because gets mad when I post her photo all over the interweb.)

The speed of the pros uphill, vs. the speed of the enthusiast/club riders, was like night and day.
That's the spirit!!!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This is an interesting read. I wonder what the long-term plan is.
It is an interesting read.

It's hard to imagine a plan that would include a change from the current format of one week in May. There is just no other credible time slot that would improve the current setup, either in garnering more eyeballs or improving competition.

So that leaves trying to increase critical mass within the current framework. Expanding the women's competition might help in that regard. I'd think the overarching objective for AEG would be to increase sponsorship revenue. To that end they'd have to find businesses willing to affiliate with a sport that has heretofore brought lots of opportunity for "lifestyle" promotion, but too much baggage to sustain moneyed interest.

It's easy to imagine businesses able to augment the race scene with promotions specific to California - wine regions promoting their wares and regional tourism (as we just saw with Chianti Classico in Greve), casual-wear clothing manufacturers, movie studios, amusement parks. Any of these categories could augment the moving-festival aspect of stage racing with ancillary events that would be mutually beneficial. If only deep-pocketed advertisers can be induced to open their checkbooks.

AEG is a top company in the field of sports marketing. They will have thought of all this and more. If they find they can't make a profit it would leave two alternatives - sell to ASO all or part of their interest in the race, or discontinue the effort. ASO is the only organization that seems to have the special sauce necessary to profitably run bike races (well, RCS is alive and kicking, but on a much reduced scale compared to ASO).

I guess I've let my mind wander long enough ...

·
Registered
865 Posts
Most un motivated peloton I have ever seen. I guess just a training race for most of the top euro team guys.
i hate to agree, (particularly in the afterglow of a win by a great guy who overcame a ton of adversity) but that was not a normal peloton pursuit of a breakaway.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Most un motivated peloton I have ever seen. I guess just a training race for most of the top euro team guys.
And yet, Ben King! That was unexpectedly wonderful

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No lie. I was happy to see Ben win it today. He is a great guy and it is a pleasure to watch him take the top step. More to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ben is the pride and joy of us cycling fans here in Virginia!

Oh, I just learned that my old good friend (was in a rock band with him years ago and we just reconnected) has a stepdaughter that is a two-time UCI time trial champion! Small world! She's doing the Women's Tour of CA and he said she's also going to the Olympics in Rio.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts