Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I are planning to go watch. Does anyone know when and where I can find more specific info about the route, the finish lines, the start and estimated finish times, road closures, and other info that will help us plan this thing? The TdG website has only the start and end cities listed.

Also, any inside info about where would be a good hotel to stay and hope to catch a glimpse of Lance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ooodles of info for ya...

litespeedchick said:
My friends and I are planning to go watch. Does anyone know when and where I can find more specific info about the route, the finish lines, the start and estimated finish times, road closures, and other info that will help us plan this thing? The TdG website has only the start and end cities listed.

Also, any inside info about where would be a good hotel to stay and hope to catch a glimpse of Lance would be appreciated.
from an email i just received:

Seven stages in six days, including one individual time trial and 11 King of the Mountain (KOM) competitions, will highlight the official route for this year's Dodge Tour de Georgia, officials confirmed today. As the premier professional cycling stage race in the United States, the Tour will begin in Macon, Ga. on Tuesday, April 20 with Stage One and end in Alpharetta, Ga. on Sunday, April 25 with a Stage Seven grand finale.

"This year we have modified the route to incorporate a challenging and safe course for the world's finest professional cyclists, including an individual time trial and a series of epic climbs. We have also focused on creating exciting elements for spectators, while introducing new communities across Georgia as part of this great event" said Stan Holm, executive director of the Dodge Tour de Georgia. "We are anticipating a world-class roster of teams and close to a million spectators over the six days - truly, an unprecedented week of racing in North America."

Sixteen professional cycling teams from around the world are being invited to participate in the Dodge Tour de Georgia, including teams from the United States, Spain, Italy and France. The United States Postal Service Pro-Cycling Team, presented by Berry Floor, will compete in the Tour, led by five-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong.

"t's a great event for the U.S. at just the right time, as the country and the sport has been in dire need a first caliber international stage race that the cycling community can rally around. Hopefully, year two can be another stepping stone in building the Tour de Georgia into America's greatest stage race," said USPS Pro Cycling Team Director of Communications & Events Dan Osipow.

The 2004 edition of the Dodge Tour de Georgia will begin in Macon with an 85-mile stage race. Last year a three-mile prologue was held for Stage One, which is a traditional European-style format held the opening day of a multi-day race. Stage One of this year's Dodge Tour de Georgia will begin and end in Macon, taking the riders east to Georgia's Antebellum Capitol, Milledgeville. Macon hosted the second stage in 2003.

Stage Two will depart Wednesday from Thomaston, Ga., located about 30 miles west of Macon in Upson County. This stage will cover nearly 115 miles, taking the peloton to Columbus, Ga., with the first two KOM climbs in the Callaway Gardens/Pine Mountain area. Columbus was a finish city last year.

An epic double-stage will be held on Thursday, April 22. In the morning, Stage Three will begin in Carrollton and end in Rome, which also hosted the Tour last year. Later that afternoon, Stage Four will feature a 21-mile individual time trial from Rome.

Stage Five will depart from Dalton on Friday, April 23, and will include five KOM climbs en route to the finish in Dahlonega, site of America's first major Gold Rush in 1828. The rush in 2004 will be from spectators vying to enjoy the excitement from a variety of exciting vantage points in the Southern Appalachians, as the peloton navigates the famous climbs of the “Triple Gap” route used by local cyclists (Neals, Wolfpen and Woody gaps). This stage is one of the longest, with 128 miles to cover.

The 2004 Tour Stage Six focuses on new territory with a departure from Athens, Ga., which will assist the city in celebrating the 25th anniversary of its famous Twilight Criterium, a weekend of bicycle races and music. The Dodge Tour de Georgia will head back north from Athens to Hiawassee/Young Harris on April 24, another 128-mile stage. There are two KOM climbs on Saturday, one on the seven-mile assault up the legendary Hogpen Gap. A mountaintop finish on Brasstown Bald Mountain takes competitors to the highest spot in Georgia, 4,783 feet.

Sunday, April 25, Stage Seven will begin in the foothills of the mountains in Dawsonville, the home of NASCAR driver and Dodge icon Bill Elliott. The race will continue south and finish with a four-mile circuit Grand Finale on the streets of Alpharetta, Ga. At the conclusion of the stage, awards will be presented for four jersey categories, including Dodge Overall Leader, and the best team.

"USA Cycling is thrilled that the Tour de Georgia is returning for another year. As the highest ranked stage race on North American soil, the competitive racing and star-studded field of competitors will showcase America's top cycling talent in a world-class event against some of the planet's best athletes," said Gerard Bisceglia, Chief Executive Officer

i think this came off of USA Cycling's website but i'm not sure.

rt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very helpful but...

where, in all of those miles, would be the best vantage point from which to watch a stage or 2?

This may be an opportunity for a RBR gathering of sorts. Anyone care to set a time and place we can all meet and watch the race?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
exactly. i'm way too much of a control freak to be comfortable until I know start times and exact routing. i must plan my pre-race-watching ride as well as my vantage point, not to mention picking a cool place to stay and somewhere to eat!

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
holy schmoly!

"The 2004 Tour Stage Six focuses on new territory with a departure from Athens, Ga., which will assist the city in celebrating the 25th anniversary of its famous Twilight Criterium, a weekend of bicycle races and music. The Dodge Tour de Georgia will head back north from Athens to Hiawassee/Young Harris on April 24, another 128-mile stage. There are two KOM climbs on Saturday, one on the seven-mile assault up the legendary Hogpen Gap. A mountaintop finish on Brasstown Bald Mountain takes competitors to the highest spot in Georgia, 4,783 feet. "

128 mile stage crossing hogpen gap (ouch) and ending atop brasstown bald (triple ouch). holy schmoly!

·
Registered
21 Posts
litespeedchick said:
exactly. i'm way too much of a control freak to be comfortable until I know start times and exact routing. i must plan my pre-race-watching ride as well as my vantage point, not to mention picking a cool place to stay and somewhere to eat!
As far as I could figure out last year, they didn't publish any detailed pre-race route information, and I expect no less this year. Which is why I likely won't go. Again.

Although when they announced this year's tour, last year's website was still up and running and had pdf cue sheets with detailed routes and estimated route times on it. I wonder if that's still out there somewhere....

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
bb is one way up/down

bet they'll do some severe crowd control on brasstown. one way in/out, and many narrow/twisty roads.

hogpen is a state route, through a park, i think.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Start times

A couple friends and I are going down for the Thurs & Fri stages. I emailed the T de GA about start times and end times.

They responded with this email....
Subject : RE: stage times

We will have this information on our web site in early March. Please be
patient. Thank you for your interest in the Dodge Tour de Georgia!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.