Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than the big crash at the end of yesterday's stage, this is probably the MOST BORING race I've ever seen. Long, straight wide open roads through what looks like a deserted city with hardly any spectators. And this is where the 2016 world championship is to held? It's not like Qatar is a hotbed of cycling. What was UCI thinking? I suspect that it came down to $$$$.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I suspect that it came down to $$$$.
Obviously. Place is a **** hole.

Douchebags don't even have a place for teams to change after the race.

Douchebags kick out or rather refuse to invite Etixx because they don't race to the podium fast enough after the race.

Douchbags can't even put up race barriers at the end of the stage. Completely avoidable crash because of their ineptitude.

They can pack it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,066 Posts
Of course, no question about it. It's a shame really...
And by "a shame" you mean completely normal for every major sporting event the world over. Organizers go where the money is.

Why do you think NFL teams only go where cities build teams $500million USD stadiums gratis for them?
How do you think the site of the Olympics gets picked?
How do you think the routes for TdF are picked?

Welcome to how things work. It is always and forever about $$$$$.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
And by "a shame" you mean completely normal for every major sporting event the world over. Organizers go where the money is.

Why do you think NFL teams only go where cities build teams $500million USD stadiums gratis for them?
How do you think the site of the Olympics gets picked?
How do you think the routes for TdF are picked?

Welcome to how things work. It is always and forever about $$$$$.
Pretty much. The sport is also growing very quickly in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa and I am sure that the UCI and Manufacturers want to encourage and tap into that. All of this points back to Marc's central point though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts