Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tour of the Litchfield Hills
August 1 2010

Anyone doing the century ride for the TLH??

I'm doing it... or at least I' am trying! :eek:

Want to join??

Peter

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think its a metric century.... from looking at the map it exactly 101 milles!
Unless you mean you are doing the 75 miles?

Let me know if you want to join us! I have 2 other cyclists going with me.

Peter

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ooops, my bad... I thought there was a low-60 mile route but it's only 55. Anything more than that is too hilly for me and I don't have the time that day to do a longer ride anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
cski said:
How would you describe the terrain ? Funny that there is no mention of the hills on the sponsor site.
Yee... I don't know... But I know a few people who did it last year and loved it!
There are tons of signs for it around here. It's a legit, lots of fun event!

Lots of hills!!

Here is their site: http://www.tourofthelitchfieldhills.com/

I'm registered already: https://www.pledgereg.com/14365

Sponsor site: http://www.charlottesweb.hungerford.org/Support/cycling_event.asp

Peter

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Peter,

I'm contemplating doing the 101 mile route. Have you done this event before ? I did the 102 mile Summer Breeze Century out of Madison a few weeks ago. There was 5400' of elevations gain (according to my Garmin) but almost all of that was in the first 55 miles. I had heard that this ride is pretty hilly......

Joe

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Joe,

No, I have not donne this ride. I heard good things about it and yes lots of hills. It's going to be my first century so I am a bit concerned but they have a good reputation for great rider support, sag wagons, drinks and food. So... we'll see what happens. Are you going?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Peter,

Have you done any long century rides before ? Tour of the Litchfield Hills does not strike me as a beginner event....at least not the 101 mile route. I found your MayMyRide route for the event. It lists the total elevation gain for the 101 miles as 4500' feet which is actually pretty flat for that much distance.
Right now I am planning on doing the ride but I won't register until Thursday right before the deadline. Just want to make sure the weather will be good.

J.

pferreira said:
Hi Joe,

No, I have not donne this ride. I heard good things about it and yes lots of hills. It's going to be my first century so I am a bit concerned but they have a good reputation for great rider support, sag wagons, drinks and food. So... we'll see what happens. Are you going?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I grew up in that area (Warren). Yes, it's a pretty hilly route. A couple of pretty good climbs, but nothing too steep, at least the direction I assume they're riding. If you're going from Kent to Warren instead of Warren to Kent, though, then enjoy the suffering! :)

Beautiful route, by the way. Too bad you don't get to spend more time riding along the Housatonic, but Rte. 7 through there is not very conducive to cycling traffic, so I understand the decision.

Hmm...now I'm thinking about signing up for this for next year (I live in Maine now, and was just down in Warren last weekend, so can't see going again already).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Joe,
I do alot of ridding... 40, 50, 60 mile rides, but never did a century so it should be fun!
Let me know if you go maybe we can meet there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just saw the weather forecast for the weekend...right now it looks wonderful. I am planning to be there. PM me with your contact info. :)

You have quite a nice website by the way.

pferreira said:
Hi Joe,
I do alot of ridding... 40, 50, 60 mile rides, but never did a century so it should be fun!
Let me know if you go maybe we can meet there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
JoeOxfordCT said:
Hi Peter,

I'm contemplating doing the 101 mile route. Have you done this event before ? I did the 102 mile Summer Breeze Century out of Madison a few weeks ago. There was 5400' of elevations gain (according to my Garmin) but almost all of that was in the first 55 miles. I had heard that this ride is pretty hilly......

Joe
Peter, this is what I was looking for as well - some quantitative on the climbing.

Sponsor website seems to make no mention ...

Chris

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes sir we did ! :)

I did the Tri-Club ride out of Quassy again last night.....big group, 16 riders....a little chaotic. We rode up into Roxbury & Washington. Nice ride.....had some calf cramps coming back up RT 64 towards the parking lot. I had not ridden since last Thursday and I think it was showing......:p

pferreira said:
Well Joe!!! We did it didn't we? I completed my 1st century with no problems.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congrats on the century. I will be doing the ride next year, broken finger prevented me from doing the ride this year.

Norm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts