Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the GC picture is starting to shake out:

1. Evans put a minute into most of the other contenders today. He should be able to put a good 2 minutes into them on stage 20's ITT, so the 'climbers' are going to have to get at least 3 minutes on Evans in the mountains. There's only 2 stages that look hard enough to do that, Stage 10 and 17, though stage 10 is a little short for that. Can they do that?

CSC and Caisse d'Epargne seem best positioned to attack Evans with multiple GC threats. Will they as early as stage 6 start sending Pereiro up the road, will CSC hand over GC role to Andy Schleck, since he was better than Sastre today (and better than his brother)?

Given Evan's ability to ride with the leaders last year, it seems the only way to beat him will be to attack him GC threats in an effort to tire out his team, which isn't so strong for defending in the mountains.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
This is why he is the rightful favorite.

Valverde's best hope is to be able to follow Soler or one of the other climbers when Evans can't.

Actually it may be Kirchen for the podium, he placed 7th on GC last year.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Evans' interview said he is basically going to wheelsuck now that he is ahead of the other GC guys.

Jesus, he is more boring to watch than a home-run derby.
Yes yes as he said hes going use the best stratgey for him to win the tour since hes not super explosive on the climbs this is his best bet. Perhaps if you called him up and asked him to throw away a likely once in a life time chance to win the tour he might throw in an attack that could open him up to being countered and losing the whole race in one go, all for your own personal enjoyment. While that might be entertaining for you to watch I think Evens its thinking that he would rather be found a bit boring and win. Im sure the other climbers will make it interesting enough.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I wonder if we'll see a GCer try something on stage 6. It's longish for a mountain stage, though it's not terribly tough. I believe I heard the announcers say the final climb was 11km long.

I'm guessing Ricco or Cunego try something. Cunego did ok in the TT today, however if he honestly thinks he has a shot, then he better start lighting fuses every time there's a mountain top finish.

· gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
Creakyknees said:
This is why he is the rightful favorite.

Valverde's best hope is to be able to follow Soler or one of the other climbers when Evans can't.

Actually it may be Kirchen for the podium, he placed 7th on GC last year.
soler? what are you smoking?

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
I see Ricco taking off with Pererio, Frank Schleck, Miller/Pate and a bunch of lesser classed guys. It'll put the squeeze on wheelsuck Evans. I'll be pleased.

· Registered
930 Posts
botto said:
soler? what are you smoking?
Soler would've been a solid choice prior to his injury. However, his results in the past few stages have been abysmal, he's in a lot of pain and may not even survive the race this year. Hope his wrist injury softens up, but it's not really likely at this point.

· You call that running?
262 Posts
jorgy said:
I think Millar's going to try for something on stage 6. I'd think his experience would allow him to outwit Ricco.
Outwit him...right.

He could be a bike racing Einstein and he's not going to outclimb Ricco. I love Millar, but his best shot at the Jersey was today. When he loses some time he might be able to get in a breakaway.

· Descender
2,213 Posts
There are seriously a lot of names in the top 20 that can do some damage over the next 5 or 6 stages + some lesser knowns (that we know) that can do some damage now that the field is more level.
Valverde - is a better TTer than he showed today - won at DL - will fight to get back time
Evans - hope he goes for it - if not hjope he doesn't win
Menchov - in the hunt - very experienced GT GCer
Shumacher - very good classics rider who has been showing up all week.
A Schleck - big potential
Kirchen - Big Big potentail - 7th at tour last year
Cunego - Big potential
Millar, Van Develde, Pereiro - who knows - Big George?

What I am saying is this race is more wide open than at anytime in the last 10 years - and it's great racing!

· Registered
650 Posts
i feel that evans will lose small chuncks of time on the true climbers but his game will be to wheel suck and to tt up the hills ie no fast spurts. he will lose 15-20 seconds per stage in the Pyrenees, he seems to like the less steep mountains better and should not loss so much time in the alps with the exceptions of the alp de Huez. He will tt well in the final tt but seems to like the first tt of the race better so the others may be able to take back a small amount of time. I feel the winner of this years tdf will be the most consistant (state the obvious) but cadel rarely has a poor day out its up to the others to make him suffer on a few concecutive days and hope he cracks. Menchov is the best placed other than evans he can have a bad day so lets wait and see. And who said levi was not a wanker? a wheel sucker is a wheel sucker No?

· Registered
31 Posts
Will Evans miss Chris Horner?
Seemed like Horner was there for Evans quite a bit last year, not on the biggest climbs but just about everything else. Don't know the Lotto riders very well and wondering if Evans will have domestiques to help him this year and if any of them are good climbers.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Addicted said:
Will Evans miss Chris Horner?
Seemed like Horner was there for Evans quite a bit last year, not on the biggest climbs but just about everything else. Don't know the Lotto riders very well and wondering if Evans will have domestiques to help him this year and if any of them are good climbers.
I think Popovitch will fill that role and more

· Registered
650 Posts
Evans did make a big nosie about his team not signing horner, but when they signed Popo he was quite very quickly. He has a strong team, but there is no "Checu" to sit on the front and grind out mile after mile of high paced mountain climbing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.