Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone done the Tour the Tucson Mountain ride? I've done all the Perimeter Bicyling rides except this one. I'll be riding it this Sunday and was wondering if anyone else has done it and have any comments.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
IN2SUN said:
Anyone done the Tour the Tucson Mountain ride? I've done all the Perimeter Bicyling rides except this one. I'll be riding it this Sunday and was wondering if anyone else has done it and have any comments.
Tomorrow will be my first time riding he TdTM. However, I've ridden the course before, in bits and pieces. What do you want to know?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to know what people thought about it. Just did it today too. Did all right, 3:52. I felt tired right front the get go. Surprised it came out all right. The course was ok, not my favorite though. I've done them all now and I think the one I like the most is the Cochise 92 miler--more scenic, gets out into the desert. It's a bit of a drive though.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
What I think is that bronchitis sucks. I was a non-starter, although I did drive my wife and daughter there, later, for the kid's 4 miler.

I think they could jazz up the ride a bit. I think they could take it over Gate's Pass, or through Saguaro Nat'l Park West on Picture Rocks (I think that's the road). I'd also reroute so that after Ajo, the ride turned on to Kinney instead of Sandario. Kinney is nice and rolley with some challenging elevation changes, and it eventually hits Sandario.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
alienator said:
What I think is that bronchitis sucks. I was a non-starter, although I did drive my wife and daughter there, later, for the kid's 4 miler.

I think they could jazz up the ride a bit. I think they could take it over Gate's Pass, or through Saguaro Nat'l Park West on Picture Rocks (I think that's the road). I'd also reroute so that after Ajo, the ride turned on to Kinney instead of Sandario. Kinney is nice and rolley with some challenging elevation changes, and it eventually hits Sandario.
let the TMM group over gates? why not just open a hospital on the descent first, the ride is dicey enough as it is.
sweetwater was an improvement compared to the usual silverbell jittery ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I liked the sweetwater change - anything other than Silverbell is an improvement in my book. I would love to see the course go over rattlesnake pass and then take silverbell to wade, wade out over picture rocks to sandario, sandario south to kinney, kinney to ajo (maybe even with mccain loop thrown in there) and then ajo to sandario and finish up the course as it does today. That would keep the milage about the same, make it a ton more interesting, and safer because the groups would be smaller after going over picture rocks.

But I doubt it would ever happen because it would no longer be a "perimeter" route. Picture Rocks might be a challenge to get approved too since it is narrow and windy although not that heavily traveled.

In away I kinda to like the existing course too though because it makes TTM have a different feel than the other PBAA rides - TTM is more like a hold-on-for-dear-life-while-your-heart-is-beating-out-of-its-chest-and-don't-clip-anyone's-wheel ride. Phx is like that, but slower, in the beginning but then you hit the climbs and the feel changes completely, and TdT is more of an epic adventure. They are all a different experience.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
well, sandario would be a mess with bikes coming in both directions and have to cross paths. The road would have to be closed completely.
Falstaff said:
I liked the sweetwater change - anything other than Silverbell is an improvement in my book. I would love to see the course go over rattlesnake pass and then take silverbell to wade, wade out over picture rocks to sandario, sandario south to kinney, kinney to ajo (maybe even with mccain loop thrown in there) and then ajo to sandario and finish up the course as it does today. That would keep the milage about the same, make it a ton more interesting, and safer because the groups would be smaller after going over picture rocks.

But I doubt it would ever happen because it would no longer be a "perimeter" route. Picture Rocks might be a challenge to get approved too since it is narrow and windy although not that heavily traveled.

In away I kinda to like the existing course too though because it makes TTM have a different feel than the other PBAA rides - TTM is more like a hold-on-for-dear-life-while-your-heart-is-beating-out-of-its-chest-and-don't-clip-anyone's-wheel ride. Phx is like that, but slower, in the beginning but then you hit the climbs and the feel changes completely, and TdT is more of an epic adventure. They are all a different experience.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
den bakker said:
let the TMM group over gates? why not just open a hospital on the descent first, the ride is dicey enough as it is.
sweetwater was an improvement compared to the usual silverbell jittery ride.
Nah. It'd be fun.:rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't know why they don't use Kinney instead of the first part of Sandario. That would break things up, as would diversions from Silverbell.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
den bakker said:
kinney would ruin a perfectly good tandem hammer fest :)
Well, jeez, if you want a tandem hammerfest, then you should want the route to go east to west over Gates Pass. Descending from the pass, on a tandem, could be the living example of hammerfest. Zoooooooommmmm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.