Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be better suited in the Pro Cycling section but this isn't about the race itself.

The article contends that people aren't watching the Tour because the stages so far have been too long, and therefore boring. Do you agree that that's the reason people aren't watching?

A few of the commenters on there seem to blame doping for driving away viewership of cycling, but I don't think that has much to do with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hing-the-tour-de-france-because-its-too-long/

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
“If nothing happens in the next five minutes, [young viewers] switch to something else, so it has to be shorter stages and more action,” Voigt said on the NBC Sports broadcast while riders set off on a 237.5-kilometer ride. “No stage should be longer than 200 kilometers and no mountain stage should be longer than 180 kilometers. That is long enough for everybody to sort it out.”
That's B.S. Cycling is boring for the most part. I love watching all the grand tours. But can't sit for hours on end watching every minute. I DVR and skip through.

If your attention span is 5min, does it really matter if the race is 237km or 180km? You're still over 4hrs of viewing time and there's LOTS of time where nothing happens. Heck, if the race were 100km, there'd still be lots of time where nothing exciting happens every 5min.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
I DVR it, watch the start and ffwd to the points of interest (chateaus, castles, crashes etc) and then watch the final 10-15km or so. There is no way I could watch a 4-5hr group ride with a small group dangling off the front. Yeah I'll watch more of the mountain stages.

It's been great to watch the Cav Man win again. Now he's the greatest TdF sprinter of all time with no argument. I vacationed a few times where he was born - the Isle of Man - long before he was born so he's one of my faves.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
This may be better suited in the Pro Cycling section but this isn't about the race itself.

The article contends that people aren't watching the Tour because the stages so far have been too long, and therefore boring. Do you agree that that's the reason people aren't watching?

A few of the commenters on there seem to blame doping for driving away viewership of cycling, but I don't think that has much to do with it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...hing-the-tour-de-france-because-its-too-long/
A large percentage of the racing is boring (to me at least). I watch the mountain stages and TTs.

·
Registered
20,767 Posts
For the Giro, they were airing the full race live during the day. Then at night, they had a 1hr recap show. They should do that for the TdF as well. I would catch that sometimes if I didn't feel like FF' through the DVR.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Watching the local news yesterday and I noticed that the race wasn't even mentioned. They hit baseball, basketball, golf, tennis and of course the Olympics. Very little (if any outside of cycling circles) advertising and notable mentions on local news lead to an awareness gap. A friend of mine at work said he didn't even know it started yet.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,284 Posts
I have to agree that the length of the individual broadcasts could be shortened a little bit. It'd be great if, like it was in years past, they'd start the broadcast well into the second half of the stage and just show highlights of what went on earlier. Nevertheless, part of the appeal of the grand tours and of professional bicycle races in general is their generous length. Bicycle races aren't half-hour sitcoms. They're epics. They're novels. They're like Mad Men or Game of Thrones. I get lost inside of them.

It has to be said, in any case, that bicycle racing is unmistakably a niche sport in the US. Yeah, a certain American cyclist (whose name shall not be mentioned) expanded the audience in the Nineties, but those days and that cyclist's status as a hero are long past. It'll probably take another all-conquering American to return it to American consciousness.

Us cycling fans don't truly have to worry, anyway. This is the 21st Century. There are so many media outlets out there, chances are pretty good we'll never have to go without.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think for most people the entire broadcast would be rather boring, especially if you don't avidly follow the sport. Most of the time your just being entertained by the commentators educating you on the sport as well as the history and tourism of the area. I actually don't mind watching it as I've learned a lot about the Tours racing dynamics, history of the riders and cycling. However, I can see it can become quite boring for the majority of people.

I think if they are to capture the american viewers and increase the popularity of cycling, the broadcasting may need to be changed a bit. More emphasis may need to be put on building up the key riders, rivalries and back ground stories. Format would probably need to be shortened to the last couple of hours of the ride.

Personally, I'm fine with watching the Tour as it is right now. I enjoy that format and since I'm a cyclist, I can understand the pain they endure and the excitement when they hit the finish. However, there aren't enough of us around to generate the viewership required for the networks. Sadly up here in Canada, I didn't even get to watch the Giro as it wasn't even broadcast.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I also don't appreciate all the commercials and having to Fwd through hours of recording.

more...

1) Make the guys put their names on their jerseys like other sports so we can start learning who they all are.

2) It's a race. Screen should always be showing me mph.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
This is really a matter of programming: There's no reason not to produce, say, 1-hour shows presenting just some of the highlights. For some reason (well, it costs money...) that's not done, so all you can do is either watch the whole thing, or record it, and do the cutting yourself.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I would like them to do more tech talk about the bikes .

I cant sit there and watch the peloton for hours .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
To MaxCatt's point - I think there's a missed opportunity with all the data. Occasionally - as in rarely - they'll show the speeds, e.g. Leader's speed vs. Peloton speed. Why not have that, the average speed and other data points (that don't give anything away that could help the comp) as part of a "scoreboard" section of the screen.

And yeah - cycling is one of the few sports where we have to try and figure out who's who - no numbers, no names, all on the same bike in the same kit - with the exception of a handful of striped, spotted or yellow/green jerseys. Even the guys calling the race struggle to ID riders.

NASCAR solved all of this - a mind-numbingly monotonous sport, but they flood the viewer with info (even more at the races and specialty broadcasts)... 500 miles in a circle and it's one of the most watch "sports" on the planet. I think the cycling guys could learn a bunch from the good ole' boys in Charlotte.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
NASCAR solved all of this - a mind-numbingly monotonous sport, but they flood the viewer with info (even more at the races and specialty broadcasts)... 500 miles in a circle and it's one of the most watch "sports" on the planet. I think the cycling guys could learn a bunch from the good ole' boys in Charlotte.
well if that's the criteria we should probably have tea breaks in the races to emulate cricket.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
There's a flaw to your plan. How are you going to get Europeans to drink Bud Light?

·
Registered
478 Posts
To MaxCatt's point - I think there's a missed opportunity with all the data. Occasionally - as in rarely - they'll show the speeds, e.g. Leader's speed vs. Peloton speed. Why not have that, the average speed and other data points (that don't give anything away that could help the comp) as part of a "scoreboard" section of the screen.

And yeah - cycling is one of the few sports where we have to try and figure out who's who - no numbers, no names, all on the same bike in the same kit - with the exception of a handful of striped, spotted or yellow/green jerseys. Even the guys calling the race struggle to ID riders.

I could go on.... More GoPro footage. That stuff is cool.

I like your push for more data on the screen in general. Watching now, and they just threw up the red/green elevation profile. I'd like that as a standing dashboard bar, so I always know what's left, what's coming, etc.

Then, I know it's a stretch, and probably not money there to make it happen, but I'd be interested in seeing how the women run it. You got everything out there anyway. Run a women's TDF and cut coverage back and forth between them.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I only watch the last 10 miles or so of most stages. Don't have time to sit around for 2 hours watching the French countryside pass by unless I want to take a nap as it usually puts me to sleep.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I only watch the last 10 miles or so of most stages. Don't have time to sit around for 2 hours watching the French countryside pass by unless I want to take a nap as it usually puts me to sleep.
Even as a big fan of the Pro cycling scene, I do the same.

heck I do not even care if the broadcast is live. Just do 30min from the tape of sprint stages in the evening, and maybe 1.5 hours on mtn stages. On Youtube ideally.

When I was young, the most we got was a 2-line blurb in the sports page of the newspaper listing the top 3 in a stage and top 3 on GC that day, if we were lucky. not even a photo.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts