Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is in the market for a new bike. He is 6'5 325 pounds. He plans on using his bike for commuting as well as exercise and group rides. He doesn't plan on racing, but would like to be able to ride with a fairly fast group, 20mph on flat roads. Would this bike work for him? His concern is that being his size that he may be too much for a "road bike". Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
9,790 Posts
Depending on his torso length, he may be too much for a Cannondale, which tend to have short top tubes.

Otherwise, he's fine. I weigh 20 pounds less and ride a light carbon bike.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm a big ol' boy myself [290 lbs] and have ridden lightweight racing bikes for years w/o problems. I stay away from superlight wheels and things like carbon seatposts, but most stuff holds up fine. The Touring bike you metioned would be a great all-around bike for a big guy, but it may slow him down a bit. His height may be a problem, I don't know what their biggest size is in that model. A CAAD frame from Cannondale would probably work just fine, if built with good sturdy parts and wheels. Another bike to look at is a Synapse. It splits the difference between a racing bike and a touring bike, sort of a "sport tourer".

·
Registered
449 Posts
At that kind of rider size. I would be thinking of keeping wide rim wheels on it. Like atleast 24mm rim width, and strong properly tensioned, high spoke count wheels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts