Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd share a few cycling pics from the last couple of days up here in the Great White North.

On Sunday, my wife and I rode from Whitehorse to Carcross, Yukon, which is about 150 km return. We had a beastly headwind all the way out, but of course we enjoyed the ride back. Fairly hilly road.

On the commuting front, here are a couple of pictures from our ride home from work today, first my wife and then our friend Alexis:

Regards,
Anthony

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
That is a long way to go into a headwind, doesn't look like the trees provided much shelter.

OTOH those sure are some great views!

Great pix, need more!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an exposed ride with the wind blasting out of the Alaskan coastal range. We were more than a half hour faster on the return leg with the tailwind.

This weekend we are doing a loop ride through Skagway and Haines, Alaska and Haines Junction, Yukon. It will be about 600 km over three days with two mountain passes, so we should get some great photos. I'll be sure to post them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Great shots...Is your wife riding fixed or single speed?
Thanks.

The bike is fixed. I just put one together for her, probably only her second ride on it. She asked for one but I'm not sure she's taken to riding it, at least not yet. She normally rides a cruiser to work.

We rattle-canned her old Miyata touring frame (hence the canti brake -- fork has posts but is undrilled) with John Deere-colored paint. I put it together with spare parts: the hub is a suicide hub using locktite and a BB lockring.

She calls it "Jane Deere.: With the yellow tires and the honey Brooks saddle it looks pretty cool. Once we get the bars wrapped I'll post a pic of the whole bike.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
threesportsinone said:
Thanks for the pics, what mountain range is in the background of the first two pics?

I'm going to be spending my summer a couple miles north-west of you in the Brooks Range.
Not sure, but maybe the Bennett range? We're heading south towards Carcross in these photos, these would be some of the mountains we pass though on our way to Skagway (via Fraser, BC and the White Pass) this weekend.

Wow, a few miles NW indeed. What brings you up that way?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
anthony.delorenzo said:
Not sure, but maybe the Bennett range? We're heading south towards Carcross in these photos, these would be some of the mountains we pass though on our way to Skagway (via Fraser, BC and the White Pass) this weekend.

Wow, a few miles NW indeed. What brings you up that way?
I've always wanted to go to Alaska for lots of various reasons. I'm going to the Brooks Range to backpack for 45 days. I still want to go to Haines (not far from Skagway) to snowboard. Now I want to go in the summer and bring a bike (but I want to build a bike around S&S couplers and a Rohloff hub first, so I'm going to have to wait quite a while).

Maybe I should just transfer to a college in Alaska for a year.

Wait, you're biking to Skagway? From Whitehorse? Good luck, take pics.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, 45 days up there is pretty hardcore.

Yeah, we're biking Whitehorse to Skagway, then hopping the ferry to Haines and returning to Whitehorse via Haines Junction. Should be some great pics, if I survive....

If you are ever heading up to Alaska with a mountain bike, make sure you build in a side trip to Whitehorse and Carcross over here in Canada. This MBUK article (PDF) might whet your appetite.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
You gotta post some more stuff. A wife that rides fixed. You are a lucky man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.