Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have been a MTBer since last year (actually I was also a MTBer 10-15 years ago) and am now interested in a road bike. I am leaning towards a touring bike, because when I close my eyes and envision the type of riding I want to work up to doing I see myself loaded up and riding down the Oregon coast, through Yellowstone, etc... I've done a lot of solo motorcycle touring over the years, so I guess you could say that loaded-up 2-wheeled travel is my thing. A self-portrait from a motorcycle tour through Wyoming last year:

Actually, only about an hour after I took this photo I passed a loaded-up touring bicycle out there in the middle of Wyoming and I thought, "Hey, that looks like fun." So you could say that was part of my inspiration. :cool:

Of course, having never owned a road bike (save for a $20 garage sale special) I'm not really sure what to look for in a touring bike. I've been pouring over countless web sites and here are some features that I think I want:

* Steel frame. Not mandatory, I suppose, but conventional wisdom seems to be that this will provide a more comfortable and durable ride. Is this old thinking or still valid?

* Brifters. I've test ridden a few modern road bikes with Brifters and I'm really sold on them. Thus I will probably want to avoid bar-end shifters such as those on the Trek 520.

* Longish chain stay. I have US 13 (Euro 48) feet, so I think I'm going to want longer chain stays for pannier clearance.

* Adjustable stem. Not mandatory, but I think as I get familiar with the Road Bike Way I am going to want to experiment a lot with handlebar position.

* Rack and fender mounts. No brainer here.

What else should I look for? I am 35 y.o., 6' 3", 235lbs with a 33" inseam (i.e. longish torso).

I'm willing to spend up to around $1600 or so. I really like the Burley Vagabond, if only because it seems to have the features I want and I like that it's built locally. That said, I'm also interested in other and/or cheaper suggestions because I am married with children. Other bikes that seem appealing are the Cannondale T2000 or T800, and the Bianchi Volpe. Actually my older son (also a MTBer) has expressed interest in touring too, and I think in another year or two he will be old enough. Touring together with him would be awesome, but chances are I would buy him a slightly cheaper bike because he is so young and vigorous :D

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Hard to say anything but Atlantis...

I'm about your size, a little bigger, with size 15 (euro 50) shoes, and I've been riding a 64cm Atlantis for four years. I can't think of one thing I'd change on the bike--it's set up about the way Rivendell recommends, and there's NOTHING I don't like.
I paid $950 for frame, installed fork and BB, and built it up with a combination of parts bin stuff and some I bought from Rivendell for a total of $1300-$1500, depending on whether my wife or I is running the calculator.. They're more than that now, and I don't think you could do it for the price you mentioned, but if you can scrape up a little more, it's worth it IMO. It's lugged steel, strong as the Golden Gate Bridge, stable, comfortable but not stodgy (I also have a Rambouillet, a less "toury" but similar bike, and they're pretty similar).
I haven't checked the Web site in a few months (www.rivbike.com , but Rivendell also had some less expensive but still good-looking bikes, the Redwood and Romulus, for about $500 less. Check it out.

undies said:
Hi folks,

I have been a MTBer since last year (actually I was also a MTBer 10-15 years ago) and am now interested in a road bike. I am leaning towards a touring bike, because when I close my eyes and envision the type of riding I want to work up to doing I see myself loaded up and riding down the Oregon coast, through Yellowstone, etc... I've done a lot of solo motorcycle touring over the years, so I guess you could say that loaded-up 2-wheeled travel is my thing. A self-portrait from a motorcycle tour through Wyoming last year:

Actually, only about an hour after I took this photo I passed a loaded-up touring bicycle out there in the middle of Wyoming and I thought, "Hey, that looks like fun." So you could say that was part of my inspiration. :cool:

Of course, having never owned a road bike (save for a $20 garage sale special) I'm not really sure what to look for in a touring bike. I've been pouring over countless web sites and here are some features that I think I want:

* Steel frame. Not mandatory, I suppose, but conventional wisdom seems to be that this will provide a more comfortable and durable ride. Is this old thinking or still valid?

* Brifters. I've test ridden a few modern road bikes with Brifters and I'm really sold on them. Thus I will probably want to avoid bar-end shifters such as those on the Trek 520.

* Longish chain stay. I have US 13 (Euro 48) feet, so I think I'm going to want longer chain stays for pannier clearance.

* Adjustable stem. Not mandatory, but I think as I get familiar with the Road Bike Way I am going to want to experiment a lot with handlebar position.

* Rack and fender mounts. No brainer here.

What else should I look for? I am 35 y.o., 6' 3", 235lbs with a 33" inseam (i.e. longish torso).

I'm willing to spend up to around $1600 or so. I really like the Burley Vagabond, if only because it seems to have the features I want and I like that it's built locally. That said, I'm also interested in other and/or cheaper suggestions because I am married with children. Other bikes that seem appealing are the Cannondale T2000 or T800, and the Bianchi Volpe. Actually my older son (also a MTBer) has expressed interest in touring too, and I think in another year or two he will be old enough. Touring together with him would be awesome, but chances are I would buy him a slightly cheaper bike because he is so young and vigorous :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts