Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just thought I'd ask for some opinions regarding a future bike purchase.

I'm currently in the market for my first road bike. Although I've been mountain biking for the last 5 years, I'd like to get a road bike which I can use for some rides with my friends. I like the fact that the season is much longer and I'm sure a road bike would cut my commute in half - compared to riding my 35lb dual suspension mtn bike.

I'm also looking forward to doing some bicycle tours in my mountain filled backyard... otherwise known as the Rocky Mountains. :)

My budget is around $2000 and I started my search by looking at some racing oriented bikes but I immediately noticed that they all came with carbon stays... which pretty much eliminates the use of a rack for paniers.

So I guess my question is this :

Is it wrong to use a racing bike with a BOB trailer ? I'll probably do maybe one or two tours per year while I'll be riding with some groups for the rest of the time.

Or should I get something like a cyclocross which has eyelets and a more forgiving geometry. (The Bianchi Axis comes to mind.)

I apologize for what may be a really stupid question but I just thought I'd ask the pro's before deciding on a bike. :D

Oh yeah, here's a picture I snapped last summer. I was kinda intrigued when I saw this carbon fibre road bike being used for touring. I didn't think it'd be able to handle that kind of stress... But what do I know.

Ken.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My bike this year

Kulaken,

We bump into each other again!...you pose a good question and Iam sure some will respond that this would not be a wise idea. The last two season I used a Giant ocr3, the cheapest possible bike and did over 1100 miles of touring.This bike was straight alum, and a terrible ride, lots of road vibration,but in all got me safely to where I wanted to go. This included some very rough terrain, passing over the rockies a few times and into Alberta. I have since sold this bike.

For the 06 season Iam going to use an Orbea Spirit(steel)/ Carbon rear stay, pulling an ibex bob trailer. Even though I have the rear carbon stay, Iam not going to hesitate using it. I have a lenghty trip planned in July. Prior to buying the Orbea I bought a straight steel Jamis that was set up for touring, thinking this would be the bike for the 06 season. Although it was a great bike it was to sluggish and to heavy for other riding pursuits. Fortunatly I was able to sell it to a friend who wanted a bike just like that, and bought the Orbea.

Iam fortunate to have a very serious second Tri bike(Carbon Cinelli) that i can use for road pursuits, but yet did not want to keep a heavy touring bike in my stable. I think I made a good choice buying the Orbea with a carbon stay and again have no fears using to pull a trailer. This bike set up gives me the versatility I want for different riding situations.

What ever bike you end up with, from experience is to be sure you can put bigger tires on it. I always felt a little more comfortable touring with a bigger tire (28 min). A good cross bike will offer you that and as well allows you the opportunity to use it for other pursuits, including road bike intrests

Good Luck!

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
RobW said:
Touring that machine is just asking for trouble...
For real! I doubt those adhesive bonds on the dropouts were ever designed for the longitudinal shock loads that a heavy trailer would add to them. My bet is that within a couple days of that photo, somebody trashed a perfectly good CF frame, and the warranty wouldn't cover it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honda Civic or Lamborghini Diablo with luggage rack?

You can certainly use a racing bike for touring and you can probably use a touring bike for riding with your group but neither would be ideal. Forget about frame materials for a minute and consider geometry. Long chainstays and slacker angles make a good touring bike. Short chainstays and steeper angles make a racing bike. If you can find a bike that's somewhere between the two designs it may be perfect for you.

Carbon stays don't necessarily eliminate the ability to run racks. See? http://www.specializedbikes.com/bc/...22372~za=1023~jsm=JTF_FULLSESSION~jt=18964424 This Sequoia even has lower-rider mounts set into the carbon fork.

In my opinion here's what you need in a touring bike.
-Strong wheels
-Wide gearing for climbing and descending with a load
-ability to run 28mm wide tires (32mm would be better)
-relaxed geometry for all day after day riding
-ablilty to run fenders
-ability to set handlebars close to the top of the saddle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

Thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll stick with my original idea and go with a Bianchi Axis... which has most if not all of the attributes listed above.

Mark, I actually found a dealer in Edmonton which carries them ! I'll be checking it out in a few weeks. Let me know if you're passing through Calgary... we'll have to grab some beers at Cowboys. :D

Ken.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Still a Flames Fan

Good you won't have to pay duty, and all that good stuff...I don't miss that, but I miss giong to the Stamps games!

The Axis looks like it would be the one to do it all for ya! Have fun!

kulaken said:
Hi,

Thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll stick with my original idea and go with a Bianchi Axis... which has most if not all of the attributes listed above.

Mark, I actually found a dealer in Edmonton which carries them ! I'll be checking it out in a few weeks. Let me know if you're passing through Calgary... we'll have to grab some beers at Cowboys. :D

Ken.

·
Registered
39 Posts
RobW said:
Touring that machine is just asking for trouble...
I rode a Trek 5200 triple ring carbon bike with a BOB from San Diego to St Augustine FL last year with no frame or wheel problems. The only notable downsides were lack of braking power downhill and some instability at high speed. Not optimal, but definitely doable.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
You can also get a rear rack that attaches to your seatpost. I've used it on my racing bike. But if you aren't going to do any racing you might want to consider a CX bike. they are built tough to handle loads and you can put on skinny tires if you want to fly...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts