Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Touring build---- using alum MTB - advice requested

Okay, after much debate and an even more drastic cut in funds I've decided to sell the '84 Trek Sport Tourer and build up the Alum Trek rigid MTB as touring/all-around bike (when not using single speed).
Rationale-
Most of my touring has been and most likely will continue to be offroad. If I do a road tour I can always throw some gears back on the SS which is a sport tourer too.
I've been yearning to ride in the woods, not on the MUT (but not enough to have a dedicated MTB, oh the horror).

The bike. I picked this bike up for free at a yard sale and only needed to get a front wheel to get it running. My nephew was riding it but he outgrew it and gave it back. (We picked up a SS MTB for him).

I've been reading the advice on the forums and based on what I've read these are the thoughts I have on build-up. ADVISE ME PLEASE

• Dirt drops/mustache bars (I have pretty verticle stem which seems to be good for dirt drops I have bell lap bars in shed)
  • thumbies or rapid fire shifters (???)
  • Cantis- I have v-brakes but can't see how the levers would work on drops
  • fenders- seems to be plenty of clearance
  • racks and BOB I have
)

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will brifters work with V- brakes?
I thought about bar-ends but I've never used them, will they work with the flare of the dirt drop style bars?
Components are low end shimano, I have another bike the the shed I might scrape some parts off, that's where I was going to get the cantis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.