Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
zeytin said:
build up the Alum Trek rigid MTB as touring/all-around bike
I really thought the Trek 820 was steel, not aluminum. The current 820 model is high-ten steel according to Trek's website, but I don't know about older models. Have you checked it with a magnet?

Did you replace the rear wheel as well as the front? If it has the stock rear it's probably a pretty cheap freewheel (non-cassette) hub with a bend-prone axle. That was a weak spot on my Trek 3700, which has about the same componentry as an 820 but with an aluminum frame instead of steel.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
whateveronfire said:
I have mini-Vs on my cross bike (Tektro and Campy both make them). They work great w/o a travel agent, but you need a barrel adjuster to get them on and off (or you can deflate the tire).
But if you're doing a new build, I think it would be a lot easier to just get v-brake compatible drop bar levers from DiaCompe, Cane Creek, or Tektro. The only reason not to is if you *really* want to stick with brifters.

I recently switched from brifters to brake-only levers and bar-ends. I was nervous about the switch but I quickly found that I don't miss the brifters at all. I would think that if you're getting dirt-drops the bar-end shifters would be a close reach, thus making it easier to acclimate yourself to the new shifting technique.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.