Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've played with the idea of converting my own old Trek to a touring bike. When you ad up all the parts you need to make it comfortable AND reliable and recondition it, you may very well end up spending enough to get an inexpensive road bike. A very big factor is the shifting. You will probably want bar end shifters since STi levers will be quite expensive, even at a Shimano 105 level. It's something to consider. Put together a list of everything you would like to see on it and add it up, it may be worth it, or maybe not. In my case, it wasn't worth it.

Another possibility, and I may be crazy is converting to single speed. As a single speed, you only need to get the bar and levers (and maybe a new quill stem for better geometry), a chain tensioner and a cog w/spacers spacers or a freewheel and you're set. At that point you could have youself a decent single speed cyclocross bike.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.