Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a custom touring frame made for me. I've been tiring to get decent components, Paul Canti brakes, LX rear and front del. and I ordered a LX crank 48/38/26 but the guy ordered the wrong thing and gave me a great deal on the Deore 48/38/28. I brought it home but I'm wondering if I should return it and get the LX. does it really make that much difference?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Only you can decide.

BTW what difference are you thinking about?

The difference between a Deore and an LX crank? Not much.

The difference between a 26 and 28 inner ring? Not much but if you are the worrying type it will probably bother you at some time while you are climbing up a nasty hill with a big load and instead of enjoying the experience you are cursing yourself and the bike shop for the 2 tooth difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did make a mistake the Deore also has a 26. the main issue is the quality but if it is not much them the 100 dollars saved buys me the Velo leather wraps and Dura Ace cables. thanks for the reply

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
bikegeek62 said:
Thanks, I did make a mistake the Deore also has a 26. the main issue is the quality but if it is not much them the 100 dollars saved buys me the Velo leather wraps and Dura Ace cables. thanks for the reply
I'd take the 100 clams and run (well, ride actually.....).

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
If I had not had so many Campy parts lying around, I'd have built up my everyday bike (that happens to tour) with Deore parts. Inexpensive, fairly bombproof, and easy to get.

·
N. Hollywood, CA
754 Posts
I wouldn't worry about quality, depending on how you define it. Both component levels will work fine. For touring you want durable and the heavier Deore crank is likely to be overbuilt, which may improve longevity or at least give you peace of mind. FWIW Rivendell normally recommends Deore for touring.

If you're doing 9-speed (or less) you could use a Sugino SD-600 touring crank and square taper BB that would only weigh about 2 Oreo cookies more than the D'LX crank. But I'm pushing a roadie aesthetic which you may or may not care for...

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
bikegeek62 said:
I'm having a custom touring frame made for me. I've been tiring to get decent components, Paul Canti brakes, LX rear and front del. and I ordered a LX crank 48/38/26 but the guy ordered the wrong thing and gave me a great deal on the Deore 48/38/28. I brought it home but I'm wondering if I should return it and get the LX. does it really make that much difference?
You stuffed up :p

return all the parts and get a Specialites TA cyclotouriste crank, Paul centrepulls, Phil Wood BB and hubs, Nitto bar and stem, Tubus racks, Brooks saddle .... it's Ok to get your shimano fix with some derailleurs but only if you use bar end shifters and wear a wool jersey.

// the most important thing is that you're comfortable and the parts are reliable. counting ounces is for insecure young chicks who live on chewing gum and cocaine ..... oh, and pro cyclists :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.