Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I a looking for a touring frame to set up as a touring/commuting/rain/rando bike. I would prefer to buy an older(80's 90s') bike that i could set up with 32mm+ tires and fender/ rack. I see a ton of frames available or ebay and craigslist, but dont know what to look for. I ride a 58cm to 60cm road frame now. Can you guys recommend me a frame?

·
Registered
487 Posts
One that is steel, with all the eyelets you need for racks and fenders. Fuji (among others) used to make a lot of touring frames.

You'd get more responses and find more info at the bikeforums.net touring section

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Keep in mind....you can buy a brand-new frame that fits all of your requirements for $400-$700. SOMA and SURLY have several models.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a soft spot for pre 85, or so, Treks. They were hand made in those days. There are lots of nice japanese frames around too. I like the sport touring models and definitely get one with 47-57mm reach brakes. They used to be called standard reach, now many people call them long reach. This will give you room to run 28-32mm tires and fenders. These type frames are cheap and plentiful as well as making great, practical bikes. You will need to spread the rear drop outs to 130mm if you want to run modern hubs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surly LHT

Thanks for the replies. I have a line on a stock Surly LHT for about $550. I want to get but want to know if they keep their resale value. One of my goals is to ride as many frame/bikes as possible to get a better understanding of geometry, and ride as I am going to build my own custom Do-All every day bike. My other option would be my friends Rivendell prototype frame ($750-$1000). What do you guys think?

·
hello
3,394 Posts
I wouldn't even consider resale value as a factor when deciding which frame to buy. Just get what you think works best for the moment and experiment with it.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Resale?

I've resold my time-trial bike, a crappy aluminum Trek, and a fixed gear.

but the PERFECT Soma touring/commute bike I bought and built up will be with me forever, that was the goal (for me) after building the perfect commute bike, it's going to be with me for the long haul because I'm expecting it to provide a service and I've *finally* build the perfect bike for it.

If you plan on commuting, and if you plan on commuting for a long time, well into your future....

...then I would build a PERFECT commute bike, with all the features you desire. Otherwise you just keep-on-trying-to-make-something-work for commuting which we've all done at some point.

For ME, the perfect commute bike has front and rear panniers, canti brakes, room for fat tires and fenders, made from steel, with road geometry. A SOMA Double-Cross was my choice. I plan on scratching it up to high-heaven and keep on riding it to work and on raining training rides.....

....taking the load off my custom.

It took me almost 10 years to *know* what I wanted in a perfect commute bike, now I have it. I would strongly consider getting exactly what you want in a commute bike because it will service you for a long, long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to say, I am partial to Co-Motion. Their Americano can get any job done and they now have a new touring bike out called the Pangea. The Pangea is a road style frame with good upright comfort and uses 26in wheels, which can be very nice for roads in the mountains that are not paved. I can only imagine riding in Patagonia on the thing. All of their bikes that are steel can be made with the S&S couplers for traveling. My Nor'Wester has the couplers, there is no difference in the ride quality, no creaking, no loosening, never a problem. Oh, the Nor'Wester is a fine touring bike as well, but also is light enough to make swift work out of a club ride or a century. I ride mine for training/performance/centuries on the weekends with the rest stops kind of thing. Take a look at their website... co-motion.com

Hope you find something and have some great experiences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts