Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Keep in mind....you can buy a brand-new frame that fits all of your requirements for $400-$700. SOMA and SURLY have several models.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
Resale?

I've resold my time-trial bike, a crappy aluminum Trek, and a fixed gear.

but the PERFECT Soma touring/commute bike I bought and built up will be with me forever, that was the goal (for me) after building the perfect commute bike, it's going to be with me for the long haul because I'm expecting it to provide a service and I've *finally* build the perfect bike for it.

If you plan on commuting, and if you plan on commuting for a long time, well into your future....

...then I would build a PERFECT commute bike, with all the features you desire. Otherwise you just keep-on-trying-to-make-something-work for commuting which we've all done at some point.

For ME, the perfect commute bike has front and rear panniers, canti brakes, room for fat tires and fenders, made from steel, with road geometry. A SOMA Double-Cross was my choice. I plan on scratching it up to high-heaven and keep on riding it to work and on raining training rides.....

....taking the load off my custom.

It took me almost 10 years to *know* what I wanted in a perfect commute bike, now I have it. I would strongly consider getting exactly what you want in a commute bike because it will service you for a long, long time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts