Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be pulling a BOB trailer when we go in a couple of weeks. We'll be riding for a week in the area and want to know if I should use wider tires and if so how wide? There will be riding without the trailer too, so I wouldnt want them to hinder those rides. Thanx

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
6 inches ought to be wide enough.

dodi said:
I'll be pulling a BOB trailer when we go in a couple of weeks. We'll be riding for a week in the area and want to know if I should use wider tires and if so how wide? There will be riding without the trailer too, so I wouldnt want them to hinder those rides. Thanx
High performance tires are available in all widths.

IMHO every rider (even racer boys) would be better off riding the widest tires their bike will take except during a race. Anything less would be foolish...

BTW you did not include any information at all about your bike and wheel size which are the real limiting factors for tire size.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
MB1 said:
High performance tires are available in all widths.

IMHO every rider (even racer boys) would be better off riding the widest tires their bike will take except during a race. Anything less would be foolish...

BTW you did not include any information at all about your bike and wheel size which are the real limiting factors for tire size.
I agree with MB1, unless you are already running 700X28 or larger, or if you have 650B tires or 26". If you have 700X23 and the 28s will fit, use 'em.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. So you dont think that 28s will hinder my riding when I'm not towing the trailer?BTW I'm riding on a Trek 5200 that has 23s on there now.;)

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
dodi said:
Thanks for the advice. So you dont think that 28s will hinder my riding when I'm not towing the trailer?BTW I'm riding on a Trek 5200 that has 23s on there now.;)
dodi: I'm not sure that 28s will fit on your 5200. If they don't, 25s most likely will. If you can, find a wheelset with 25s on it and see if it will fit on your bike. If they will, great! You can run slightly lower tire pressures with the larger tires, which will smooth the ride nicely and make for a much more enjoyable trip.

The Bontager RaceLite tires are nice, inexpensive tires that run a true 25 and when used with pressures around 95~100psi, provide a nice ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts